Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker Musket? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10334)

lou king 04-21-2013 10:36 AM

Parker Musket?

My mother-in-law is simplifying her household after the death of her husband and has found a flintlock rifle. The butt plate bear the marks "Parker Meridan 1828. Is this a Parker firearm? If not, can anyone shed any light on it?

greg conomos 04-21-2013 03:10 PM

Not one of 'our' Parkers.

Dean Romig 04-21-2013 07:59 PM

Lou, can you post some hi-res pictures? Especially where it says Parker Meridan 1828 please.

Bill Murphy 04-21-2013 08:15 PM

We would be very interested to see pictures of the markings on the gun you mention. Depending on the accuracy of your description, it could very well be a firearm we would be interested in. An overall picture of the gun would help a bit.

George Lander 04-22-2013 12:22 AM

Some of the earliest Charles & Wilbur Parkers made were fashioned from surplus musket barrels of Civil War vintage produced by PARKER SNOW & CO.. They are generally found in the early "T" action & underlever Parkers, but I have never seen or heard of a flintlock Parker. Never Say Never.

Best regards, George

Rick Losey 04-22-2013 10:50 AM

The butt plate is an odd place for a makers name. For a flintlock normally the lockmaker's name is on the lockplate and the gunmaker's name is on the top of the barrel if it is there at all.

A name on the butt plate may well be an owner's name -was the Parker family in the area in 1828?

Destry L. Hoffard 04-24-2013 04:17 PM

I've heard a lot of people call cap lock rifles a "flint lock" so I wouldn't be too worried about that as of yet.

Destry

George Lander 04-24-2013 04:58 PM

ROOM AT THE HAMPTON INN

Does anyone here happen to have an extra room at the Hampton Inn for Thursday (tomorrow) night? I have my room booked there for Friday & Saturday nights but I would like to come up tomorrow if there is a room available. They say they are "full up" but I am on the waiting list.

Best Regards, George
:bigbye:

Rick Losey 04-24-2013 05:47 PM

yes - 1828 is in the early timeline for a cap lock in the US - 1825 or so is about right for the beginning of general use (invented C 1820) although some builders and some buyers still liked the rocklock for years to come. on the frontier - you can find flint on the ground - not little copper caps. Hudson Bay continued to sell flintlocks through the 1800's and I believe into the very early 1900's

The conversion of flintlocks centers in the early 1830's, as the flinters became seen as out of date So its certainly possible that an 1828 gun could be either.

but if the original poster ever comes back - pictures will go a long way on deciding what this musket/rifle (its called both in the original post) is. Heck, it could be a Parker/Snow someone had his birth year engraved with - who knows until we see it