Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1908 16GA - Grade ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10675)

TomeHill 06-09-2013 07:35 PM

1908 16GA - Grade ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,
My name is Andrew and I'm writing from New Mexico. I just picked up a Parker 16ga for a few $ and I'm wondering if you could help me identify it.
I'm actually gonna hunt with this when I move back to Ohio in October so I'm not hoping it's not the Granddaddy long lost Parker but I hope it's a little nice. I took a chance on my 1st Parker so here we go!

I think it's a Grade 0 hammerless extractor but you are the experts.
The serial # is 148145 (1908)
I'm assuming the barrel has been replaced by Remington in 1951 (XX) because of some missing info but I'm not sure.

The barrel is 26"
There's no frame size # on the lug and it's without a barrel weight #

On the left underside barrel flat it's marked
148145 (looks like it's been re-stamped at some point with the same #'s)
MGD MG the "G" is sideways

On the right underside barrel flat it's marked
FULL
3 INSHELL XX

On the underside of the right barrel there are 3 stars with 16 or 91 whichever way you look at it.

The underside of the left barrel there are 2 stars and 98

The top of the barrel on the rib the only inscription is
"PARKER BROS. MERIDAN, CT." (no barrel type)

On the Watertable it has
V

The firing pins are 1 1/16" apart. So I assume a "1" frame size.

The Fore end looks to be a replacement at some point because 148145 is stamped on top of another #.
The fore end wood is cracked in a few places. Any suggestions on who does the best repairs?

The stock is straight grain walnut with a hard rubber dogs head butt plate and a gold shield on the underside

The overall condition of the gun is good. No rust, pitting, stock is in great shape. It functions and shoots great. Remington Game Load 2-3/4" 1 oz #8. The three main components are easy to dis and re-assemble.

I'll take better pictures after I get the camera battery charged up but for now this is the best I can do with my smartphone...

Thanks for all the help and here's to another money pit my wife will love ;-):rotf:

Rick Losey 06-09-2013 08:21 PM

when you get better pictures, would you post a clear one of the barrel flat markings please.

I am far from the expert, but they do not sound like typical Parker Markings, and I doubt the Parker marked rib would have been reused by Remington.

TomeHill 06-09-2013 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 108009)
when you get better pictures, would you post a clear one of the barrel flat markings please.

I am far from the expert, but they do not sound like typical Parker Markings, and I doubt the Parker marked rib would have been reused by Remington.

This is the best I can do with a camera phone.

Rick Losey 06-09-2013 08:58 PM

they do not look like Parker or Remington barrels

I expect they came from an after market maker

Rick Losey 06-09-2013 09:20 PM

btw-

148145 - a V grade -left the factory wearing 28" barrels and the book shows an extra code of 2 - which should mean it was fitted with ejectors.

TomeHill 06-09-2013 09:22 PM

The seller said it was all Parker... Guess I was duped. Too good to be true. Still looks nice!

Jim DiSpagno 06-09-2013 09:22 PM

According to the book, this gun left the factory as a VHE 16 ga., capped pg ejectors, hence the E with 28" barrels. This would explain the fore end iron and wood change and aftermarket 26" barrels. A pic of the receiver with barrels removed would tell a lot.

TomeHill 06-09-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DiSpagno (Post 108024)
According to the book, this gun left the factory as a VHE 16 ga., capped pg ejectors, hence the E with 28" barrels. This would explain the fore end iron and wood change and aftermarket 26" barrels. A pic of the receiver with barrels removed would tell a lot.

Okay, More pictures soon.

Brian Dudley 06-14-2013 04:07 PM

The picture of the barrel flats appear to show evidence of brazing used to attach a Parker barrel lug to the aftermarket monoblock.

dwight pugh 06-23-2013 12:35 PM

those are Italian barrels...i have a CH 12 with two sets of them.
stars are the chokes 1962 & later..two stars 3/4 or Improved Modified..three stars 1/2 or Modified...
star in circle over "FINITO" means defiitive proof of finished gun.
the XX is the year of proof ..1964 ....

ddp