Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Identify this track ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32153)

Milton C Starr 01-14-2021 02:51 PM

Identify this track ?

1 Attachment(s)
Found some large prints while out hunting with my older brother recently , they were trailing the cattle's hoof tracks . There was a second set of prints the same shape as these but 1/3 the size following beside these . They are about 3" across I assumed at first they were from a coyote but they seem a bit big from what I read . If its a large predator the farmer would probably be grateful if we got rid of it for him . Any thoughts ?

Dean Romig 01-14-2021 03:00 PM

Dog probably. The coyote tracks I'm used to seeing are generally narrower.

Andrew Sacco 01-14-2021 03:46 PM

Dog. Look at the nails.

Daryl Corona 01-14-2021 05:02 PM

Bigfoot. Or semi-auto shooter.:) No really, looks like a dog.

Milton C Starr 01-15-2021 09:45 AM

We considered it might have been a dog , just kind of odd considering how far in the woods we were . We do have a variety of 4 legged critters on this property though .
Probably someones hunting dog that got away from them , there are quite a few waterfowlers on the surrounding properties .

charlie cleveland 01-15-2021 04:33 PM

I go with dog tracks too....charlie

Mike Koneski 01-16-2021 10:28 AM

Chupacabra, they are becoming an invasive species.

Milton C Starr 01-16-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 322107)
Chupacabra, they are become an invasive species.

Haha I could see convincing some of the locals that is the case .

Probably someones lab got away from them .
There was a bobcat on the property that crossed the fence into the neighbors property and he got him . Think he weighed around 35lbs is what he said . Predator hunting is not popular in my area .

Stan Hillis 01-16-2021 10:37 PM

Thirty-five pounds is a huge GA bobcat. Unless it was actually weighed most people overestimate the weight of 'cats. They probably grow much larger up "nawth". I used to trap them for the fur when prices were high, back in the late '70s and early '80s. I saw many, many 'cats caught, and never weighed one over 28 pounds. A good friend who still traps coyotes caught a 31 pound 'cat last week. He'll be mounted.

Best, SRH

Milton C Starr 01-16-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 322195)
Thirty-five pounds is a huge GA bobcat. Unless it was actually weighed most people overestimate the weight of 'cats. They probably grow much larger up "nawth". I used to trap them for the fur when prices were high, back in the late '70s and early '80s. I saw many, many 'cats caught, and never weighed one over 28 pounds. A good friend who still traps coyotes caught a 31 pound 'cat last week. He'll be mounted.

Best, SRH

Yeah im not sure how he weighed it I just seen the picture of it , it is pretty large for a bobcat . I read 40lbs is about the max in extreme cases . We do have some large critters locally I always figured it was because not many people actively shoot predators like out in the midwest . Or it could be from all the chemicals the farmers dump in the local water supply :rotf: .

Now I havnt ever seen any large coyotes personally here , I have seen some large foxes but no large yotes . I would love to take one however with the Parker 10 gauge .