Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My new setter Jesse (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26099)

Tom Flanigan 12-31-2018 05:17 PM

My new setter Jesse

1 Attachment(s)
My new year old started setter is doing better than I expected. The guy who trained her did a great job with her. She is not bumping birds and is holding her points. No breaking. All indications are that she will be a true grouse dog. I'm going to try to kill as many birds as I can over her this year to get her a bunch of experience. I took two with her this morning, two yesterday and three the day before. And she handles beautifully. I am very, very pleased. I'm going to send her to a trainer in the spring to work on her retrieving. Thats the only area that needs work. She picks up the bird but doesn't bring it back to me.

Garry L Gordon 12-31-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan (Post 261732)
My new year old started setter is doing better than I expected. The guy who trained her did a great job with her. She is not bumping birds and is holding her points. No breaking. All indications are that she will be a true grouse dog. I'm going to try to kill as many birds as I can over her this year to get her a bunch of experience. I took two with her this morning, two yesterday and three the day before. And she handles beautifully. I am very, very pleased. I'm going to send her to a trainer in the spring to work on her retrieving. Thats the only area that needs work. She picks up the bird but doesn't bring it back to me.

That's a keeper for sure!!

Eric Eis 01-01-2019 08:46 AM

Beautiful, and being mostly white easy to see in the grouse woods too.

Rich Anderson 01-01-2019 08:52 AM

You have a fine companion there, congratulations.

Shawn Wayment 01-04-2019 11:54 AM

Wonderful Tom! Beautiful setter.

Dean Romig 01-04-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 261782)
Beautiful, and being mostly white easy to see in the grouse woods too.

His “ticking” (spots) will continue to develope and darken til he’s well over 2 years old.

Tom Flanigan 01-04-2019 02:06 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. She is on her way to becoming a true grouse dog, I believe. She is already cautious and points from a distance. Two things I look for. I've killed about a dozen birds over her in the short time I've had her. I've gotten very lucky with this dog. What she needs now is plenty of grouse shot over her this season. I'm trying my best. I live only 10 minutes from my coverts so I can hunt anytime I feel like it.

I will send her to a trainer in the spring to work on her retrieving and make her steady to wing and shot. Wing and shot is not really necessary but I like my dogs to be totally finished.

Tom Flanigan 01-05-2019 06:09 PM

Jesse and I got rained out today but we'll be hunting tomorrow. I cooked a grouse dinner for a few of my friends. It was a great meal with sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce. It was a nice end to a very good week of hunting.