Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Restoration of Fine Sporting Arms (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27046)

Joe Graziano 04-11-2019 09:30 PM

Restoration of Fine Sporting Arms

6 Attachment(s)
Though I am generally disposed to positive stories with happy endings, this is no such story. I will reserve comment for later, as I am too angry at the moment. Furious would be more accurate.

Several months ago, I delivered to fellow PGCA member, JJ Roberts, a very nice, perfectly functional, somewhat historic 1910 Parker VH. It had belonged to David J. Hasinger, world record holder, hunter for the Smithsonian and amazing adventurer. On his business card, JJ Roberts touts, “Restoration of Fine Sporting Arms”. JJ recently recommended on the gunsmithing thread John Gillette of Classic Guns. John did the color case hardening on this gun and attempted to reassemble it. I will let his and JJ’s work speak for itself. I will not comment further now, other than to describe what I requested and what was returned to me.

When I delivered the gun to JJ, I requested the following:

-Reblue barrels
-Pick engraving
-Re-do case colors
-Remove electric pencil etched name from action

First, is a before picture of the gun. What follows are pictures of the atrocious mess of non-functioning parts returned to me today. You will note the pile of additional parts not in the gun, the absence of the front bead which was incredibly lost and JJ pretended not to notice it was missing, the buggered screws, the gaps between wood and metal, the one protruding firing pin. Btw, none of the parts that are supposed to move, move. The safety doesn’t work, the triggers don’t function, the barrels are off face, cock-eyed, you name it. And that’s only what I can see as an untrained, regular guy who simply likes to shoot.

I will soon send the gun to a well known double gunsmith who has kindly agreed to evaluate the gun to determine if it’s salvageable. More to follow. Sad day.

Joe Graziano

Joe Graziano 04-11-2019 09:34 PM

Pics

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

Joe Graziano 04-11-2019 09:36 PM

Pics

4 Attachment(s)
Pics

Dean Romig 04-11-2019 09:38 PM

Whaaaaat!?! :shock:

It almost seems the frame may have been warped from the color case hardening process.

Victor Wasylyna 04-11-2019 09:50 PM

You may take some heat for this post, but thanks for sharing.

-Victor

Karl Ferguson 04-11-2019 10:13 PM

What a shame Joe ... what a sad day is putting it mildly

Bill Holcombe 04-11-2019 10:30 PM

Yikes....I am sorry to see that.

Dean H Hanson 04-11-2019 10:42 PM

Unfortunate... as polite as it can be.

Eric Eis 04-12-2019 05:36 AM

Wow, good reason for you to be disappointed..............

MARK KIRCHER 04-12-2019 06:45 AM

I for one am glad you did not "bite your tongue" on this one.
That is a criminal act equivalent to slashing a painting or tipping over a sculpture. Tragic.
Has the offender offered any restitution? Taken any responsibility or shown remorse? Was any explanation offered?
My sincere condolences.
That makes my stomach hurt.