Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does Anyone Know Why Parker 39135 Is Special? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33857)

ED J, MORGAN 07-28-2021 11:30 PM

Its the extra reinforcement on the receiver ahead of the balls,

Dean Romig 07-28-2021 11:56 PM

Yes Ed, the very first picture shows the redesigned radiused angle plus the beads.

Mike Franzen 07-31-2021 06:02 AM

So if you set that gun on the ground you were taking it out of safe mode? I would doubt Parker made it that way. More likely a trap shooter’s modification.

JAMES HALL 07-31-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Franzen (Post 339691)
So if you set that gun on the ground you were taking it out of safe mode? I would doubt Parker made it that way. More likely a trap shooter’s modification.

Not if the hammers were not cocked

Dean Romig 07-31-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Franzen (Post 339691)

Theoretically Mike, I sort of agree with the first part of your statement but if you leaned it against something like a tree or something vertical the heel of the butt would be on the ground but the gun would be inclined away from the thickest part of the safety button which would necessarily be fully depressed in order to push the detent away from the sears.

Your second sentence I think was made in jest. :corn:

Mike Koneski 08-03-2021 05:11 PM

Great post Dean! That would make a nice little article for The Parker Pages! :)
That would surely negate having to carry that gun cocked and open while hunting or closed with hammers down.

Dean Romig 08-06-2021 09:12 AM

Dave Suponski got back to me last evening after he had gone through all his files to find the patent information he thought he might have.
While he found information on other types of butt safties he found nothing on thus particular type.

Mills Morrison 08-06-2021 10:52 AM

Factory or not, it looks like whoever did it had serious expertise

Bob Brown 08-07-2021 09:33 PM

In W.W. Greener's book "The Gun" he describes the butt safety bolt as having been used with muzzle-loaders, hammer guns, and hammerless guns. There is a diagram of one on page 207. He said it was of little use as a safety on muzzle-loaders since they were loaded while the butt was on the ground. He wrote that in 1879 he introduced a modification to adapt it to hammerless guns. With Greener if it possible to patent it he probably would have. He also mentions that there have been several patents for similar safety bolts, both in England and abroad.
The only patent mention I've know of that might apply is the 2 October 1883 George Henry Needham registered patent No. 4693 for a revolving chamber for drop-down guns and a butt plate safety mechanism. I don't know if it is for this type of butt safety, but it seems the basic design was known and used before 1883.

Mike Koneski 08-08-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Brown (Post 340305)
In W.W. Greener's book "The Gun" he describes the butt safety bolt as having been used with muzzle-loaders, hammer guns, and hammerless guns. There is a diagram of one on page 207. He said it was of little use as a safety on muzzle-loaders since they were loaded while the butt was on the ground. He wrote that in 1879 he introduced a modification to adapt it to hammerless guns. With Greener if it possible to patent it he probably would have. He also mentions that there have been several patents for similar safety bolts, both in England and abroad.
The only patent mention I've know of that might apply is the 2 October 1883 George Henry Needham registered patent No. 4693 for a revolving chamber for drop-down guns and a butt plate safety mechanism. I don't know if it is for this type of butt safety, but it seems the basic design was known and used before 1883.

Just read that book over the winter. I have to pull it out and go to that page and reread it. I don't remember that safety being in his book. THX!