Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why NOT the taboo against refinishing Parker shotguns? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40475)

Ian Civco 11-16-2023 03:39 AM

Why NOT the taboo against refinishing Parker shotguns?

At least not to the extent of other vintage firearms? A refinished Colt, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Ithaca, etc if refinished, or even a replaced part or refinished component, really lessens the value. It doesn’t seem to be the case with Parker shotguns, or at least not to the extent of other firearms.

Why is this so? Perhaps Del Grego’s work legitimized it to some extent?

Of course, British shotguns are regularly refinished and refurbished, and still maintain high value. As do Parker shotguns.

It’s only original once!

Mike Franzen 11-16-2023 04:46 AM

Refinished vs Original is mainly a Collector issue. I would say you are correct that Parker’s will still bring a good price if refinished properly. I haven’t done the research but I believe there are more shooters of these great guns than there are strict collectors. Also, casual collectors (like me) buy them for various reasons regardless of their originality status. This is what makes them special and sets them apart from other shotgun makers. There is something for everyone. My question is why are posting at 3:30 in the morning? Lol

Craig Larter 11-16-2023 05:36 AM

3:30am must be a duck hunter LOL! I mostly gravitate to original condition Parkers. But if a gun is very uncommon and it is in my wheelhouse I will except less than original condition, like properly re blackened barrels. I own a few mint benchmark guns but most are for my hunting and shooting pleasure. I believe most participants on this forum are shooter/collector types not pure collectors.

John Davis 11-16-2023 06:36 AM

In my experience, a 95+% original condition Parker is always going to command a much higher price than a refurbished/refinished Parker of like grade no matter who did the work. And seldom will the cost of restoration increase the value of the gun by a commensurate amount. Shooters, like me, don’t care so much about originality because they’re not looking to pay for originality in the first place.

Daniel B Sweet 11-16-2023 08:16 AM

Originality is great but it's a shame for a gorgeous piece of wood to spend eternity hiding behind years of use, as far as case colors go these guns look great with a long white beard.

Bill Murphy 11-16-2023 10:38 AM

As far as utility, an A1 Special Parker is the value equivalent of a Mossburg 500. The last 99.9 percent of value for the Parker is collector value, not utility. A collector can like or not like any amount of refinish or originality that exists on a particular gun.

John Davis 11-16-2023 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 398788)
As far as utility, an A1 Special Parker is the value equivalent of a Mossburg 500. The last 99.9 percent of value for the Parker is collector value, not utility. A collector can like or not like any amount of refinish or originality that exists on a particular gun.

Bill, I know where you are going with this but I respectfully disagree. IMHO, there’s a huge difference in the quality of a Parker, any Parker, and a Mossburg, any Mossburg. And I ain’t walking up to the trap line toting a Mossburg.

Dave Noreen 11-16-2023 01:02 PM

There certainly is a big premium for high original condition Parker Bros. guns. To my eyes a lot of dealers are trying to cash in on this by advertising as "all original" guns that have been redone.

Garry L Gordon 11-16-2023 01:09 PM

I would argue that a gun with two barrels, especially when it is choked differently, has greater utility than a single barreled gun like the Mossberg. All have their place, but few have a place like a Parker.

Brian Dudley 11-16-2023 03:24 PM

As far as I know it effects the value of a parker just as much as anything else.