Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   8ga Shooters at the VC (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39818)

Craig Larter 08-18-2023 07:39 PM

8ga Shooters at the VC

The Vintagers is hosting a 8ga trophy event Friday morning September 8th on the Warrington 5 stand. All 8ga participants interested in shooting as a group meet at 9:30am at the 5 stand. If you own a 8ga and need ammo for the event, PM me and I should be able to accommodate your needs. Big Bore Guys Have More Fun!!!

CraigThompson 08-25-2023 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’m in the process of loading for the event !

Stan Hoover 08-25-2023 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m also in the process Craig,

I’m using the very same Mec set up as most everyone is I think. Has anyone had this happen to them like the shell in this picture?

This is some of my first 8 gauge hulls bought in 2020 and I didn’t track how many times these were loaded, but between 6&8 times. I’m trying to decide if the plastic hull is just weakening or if I have a final crimp die issue :cuss:

I spoke with Ken about this and he said the final crimp dies have been holding up well, but that’s not to say that it’s definitely not a die issue. While lowering the die to do the final crimp, when almost down, it just goes sideways, and the hull is ruined:crying:

CraigThompson 08-26-2023 01:03 AM

I probably do this the hard way , but I typically resize deprime reprime all my hulls before I start loading . Then at a later date I drop powder put in wad spacers/beans and crimp . The hulls I got initially I had issues with some of them being used to much and the foldedcrimp didn’t hold them well enough to get good pressure . Today when I was sizing the first hill and I think the fourth hull I didn’t get up in the sizer correctly and I screwed them up a bit . But I straightened them back out with a pair of needle nose pliers . But as to your situation there I’m hesitant to make a guess .

Craig Larter 08-26-2023 04:51 AM

Stan the only cause I can think of is the chamber diameter of your Lifters were cut for brass shells and would be oversized versus a chamber cut for paper shells. When firing the Winchester hulls in your guns the plastic expands to the diameter of the chamber. When you crimp the reload the larger diameter is very tight in the die and the crushing occurs before the cycle is complete. If it happens with a new hull then I would suspect the crimp die. Craig

Bill Murphy 08-31-2023 12:26 PM

Craig, I have 30 RMC 8 gauge brass shells. I have not heard of anyone loading smokeless in brass shells. What is the problem, if any, in loading smokeless in brass shells? Thanks.

charlie cleveland 08-31-2023 01:27 PM

bill I have loaded brass shells with smokeless powder before....I learned a few things first put 1 to 2 grains of black powder in the brass hull against the primer I just poured it into the brass hull then put your smokeless powder in on top of the black powder....finish up with 1/8 inch thick card wads better than the old hard fiber wad....then finish up with your lead shot...then put your thin wad over shot then I used a hot glue gun to seal my top wad while holding down pressure while glueing...I ve never had a misfire while using this method using a brass hull with smokeless powder in a brass hull....charlie

Stan Hoover 08-31-2023 11:09 PM

Hull Fatigue

1 Attachment(s)
Well it definitely appears to be hull fatigue, new hulls crimp perfectly :)

What is the hull life been for you guys using these Winchester Industrial hulls.

Thanks,
Stan

CraigThompson 08-31-2023 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hoover (Post 394387)
Well it definitely appears to be hull fatigue, new hulls crimp perfectly :)

What is the hull life been for you guys using these Winchester Industrial hulls.

Thanks,
Stan

All my shotgun loading life I’ve never segregated hulls by number of loadings so that’s a question I can’t answer . But knock on wood I’ve not had any do what that one did for you .

Craig Larter 09-01-2023 06:33 AM

Stan I get 7 to 8 reloads per hull. I toss them when the crimp fold splits. Never had a crushed hull?