Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   16 GH Project (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27290)

Jay Oliver 05-11-2019 09:32 AM

16 GH Project

5 Attachment(s)
I just got this 16 gauge GH with 28” damascus barrels made in 1889. It’s on a #1 frame and the weight from the research letter is 7lbs 4oz. Also from the letter: LOP 14 ½ Drop at heel is 3 ¼” chokes are both 145 pellets at 45 yards which I am assuming will be IM or F.

It needs some TLC, but I am hoping to bring it back and it should make a nice shooter. I am not sure if the stock can be saved, I don’t have any other pieces, just what is in the pictures.

I believe everything has been hot blued, given the 2 weep holes under the forend. The fit of the barrels to the frame does seem exactly right though the gun is tight(opens and closes as it should). Everything seems to be there, the internal hammers works. The bores are good. I have some extra screws/parts that I believe go to the safety.

What should I do? Is this a good restock candidate? I could try to find a 1 frame stock. I would like to get the barrels refinished as this is my first damascus 16. I would also like to remove the bluing from the receiver and forend pieces. Then I could re-case color those or leave them as is, silver/white.

I do think this gun deserves to be fixed and put back in service. I am looking forward to that!

Jay Oliver 05-11-2019 09:33 AM

8 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures...

Jay Oliver 05-11-2019 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more from the top of the receiver. As I mentioned the fit doesn't seem exactly right but the action works and closes tight.

Rich Anderson 05-11-2019 10:09 AM

Thats a project for sure. 3+ inches of drop is a lot to overcome IMHO but as long as your at it get a competent gunsmith to bend the tangs and restock it. Getting another Parker stock to fit will most likely be problematic. If you move forward you will have way more money in this than what it's worth when completed other than the satisfaction of saving the gun.

Tom Hawkins 05-11-2019 10:35 AM

GH 1 frame stock on ebay

Jay,

There is a 1 frame GH round grip stock on Ebay. It is listed as Vintage Parker Bros. Double Barrel Shotgun Stock.

Paul Ehlers 05-11-2019 10:35 AM

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

The stock is beyond saving, the receiver has rust etching in places & the engraving worn, the barrels are off face & will need to be re-fit, that's an interesting sighting modification filed into the opening lever.

I've been down this road many times & in todays world it will probably take at least $4000.00 to make this one right again. I always try to look at the barrels as the foundation for a possible restoration candidate, if the barrels aren't good you're wasting your time & money. Keep in mind that this one will probably be a two to three years project on top of the money spent.

Mills Morrison 05-11-2019 10:50 AM

Interesting gun and you don't see many in that early era. Like others said, it is not a money maker. If you restore, do it for the satisfaction of bringing it back and making it a shooter

Jay Oliver 05-11-2019 10:53 AM

Thank for that Ebay lead Tom. I couldn't tell the frame size from the description/pictures. I just emailed them asking for some more specific measurements. If it is for a #1 frame I might just try it.

I also wouldn't mine making this gun more to my liking with straight stock.
The bores look good on the inside. Though I think someone more qualified then me needs to look at this project.

Tom Hawkins 05-11-2019 11:00 AM

Stock

Jay,

The stock has the 1 frame butt plate.

Eric Eis 05-11-2019 11:58 AM

Jay if the barrels were hot blued, then you my have a loose rib and relaying ribs is a costly thing to do. It looks like a money pit to me.