Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Reblue & Recase (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3162)

Chuck Heald 01-17-2011 08:08 AM

I can't keep straight whether Parker triggerguards were Nitre or carbonia blued. I'm thinking they were carbonia? Doug Turnbull or Oscar Gaddy explained this and the process differences on the other doublegun forum once, years ago.

ED J, MORGAN 01-17-2011 10:16 AM

It's Nitere

Dave Suponski 01-17-2011 03:26 PM

yup It's nitre

Mark Ouellette 01-17-2011 04:30 PM

I had DelGrego resolder a loosening forend lug and "re-black" the barrels of my DHE 20. Re-black was the term that ol' Babe DelGrego called it. Who was I to disagree? :)

Anyway, the barrels look great!

Mark

Larry Stauch 02-03-2011 10:46 PM

Hi Steve; I have a 20ga DHE with 30" tubes as well that is currently being restored. Someone buffed and blued the frame, so I have no choice. I like Turnbull's colors, but have someone else prepare it and don't let them do the wood. I let them do a whole gun and all the metal was great, but the wood was not that great and it was friggin expensive. The other guy is good but like the one man said the colors are Remington era, kind of wavey.
Good Luck.

lee r moege 02-06-2011 03:12 PM

For what it's worth in my experience, is the rust blue color is darker (black) when the barrels are polished to a lesser degree, say 400 grit, that when taken to 600 or buff polish. The higher polish leaves the lighter blue and glossier finish. I'm reworking a DHE 20 gage that has most if not all the case colors worn off except the water table and under the top lever. There is no way I'm going to have it recolored as the engraving stands out in all its detail in the silver sheen now present. The gun has been rewooded which I am cleaning up and checkering, and has been sleeved from a 16 gage to a 20 gage ( barrels re-blacked in the process), and has an AHE ejector forend so it will be just a darn fine shooter that shouldn't be attempted to turn into something new looking. Besides that at 1/3 the price of a 20 gage repro I can live with a few imperfections and shoot hell out of it. Think Spring!!!! Lee.:rotf:

E Robert Fabian 02-06-2011 03:26 PM

How about some pictures of that DHE Lee !!

lee r moege 02-06-2011 04:48 PM

There are some "before" pix posted by me on Dec.22 in a thread "DHE 20ga". I will post some again after I finish the checkering and showing the previous condition of the wood. Lee.

Larry Stauch 02-06-2011 09:45 PM

Larry the Gun Guy

I like the work Turnbull does on the metal. The colors on the four guns that he has done for me are super and they look as original as could be expected. He doing a 20 gauge DHE for me now and when I get it back I expect it to be perfect.

Good Luck.

Bill Murphy 02-07-2011 01:41 PM

Turnbull did the receiver, forend iron, and trigger guard on my 30 year VH project. I spent a bunch of money on reengraving and preparation before I gave it to Doug, expecting to just pay a little for the final finishing. They knew I wanted a perfect job and pointed out a few areas that needed attention to be absolutely perfect. I shouldn't have wasted my money preparing the gun. I should have just left it all to Turnbull because I paid for it all over again. I am very pleased with the final result.