Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Ruffed Grouse" by John Alden Knight (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20383)

Dean Romig 12-17-2016 03:59 PM

"Ruffed Grouse" by John Alden Knight

Didn't want to hop on to Destry's For Sale thread of this book so I'm starting one I hope will be of interest to Members.
This is not for sale by myself or anyone I know and I have no 'skin in the game.'

I received a booklet today from a book seller here in the Northeast and in it is this one... (it's just a tad out of reach for me at the moment, but I sure would like to have it if any of you were wondering what you could get me for Christmas :corn:)

"Ruffed Grouse" by John Alden Knight - Knopf, New York, 1947, #34 of 210 copies signed by the author, printed on rag paper, with an extra color plate laid-in (a duplicate of the frontispiece). Illustrated with 4 color plates by Dr. Edgar Burke, and b&w photographs. 7.25" x 10.5". 274 pp. Bound in three-quarter black leather, off-white cloth covered boards. Natural history and hunting of the ruffed grouse, with information on guns, loads, dogs, hunting methods, etc. Very Scarce. Fine+ in very good original slipcase. $950.-

Rick Losey 12-17-2016 05:42 PM

cool - you could have bought a good chunk of Armenia mountain for that in his day :rotf:

that is nice a collector volume- but anyone who likes to read about the hay day of upland bird hunting should read his Ruffed Grouse and his Woodcock book

I hunted areas near his haunts many years ago- that terrain was a work out

edgarspencer 12-17-2016 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure how I happened onto this, and Dean had already gotten my Christmas present (or so I assume, as he didn't want to buy this for me) so, I treated myself. It's a 1901 original A B Frost print, though unsigned.

Rick Losey 12-17-2016 07:31 PM

always liked that one

but then again I generally like all his gunning prints - i think i have more of his than Osthaus'

Russell E. Cleary 08-04-2017 01:13 AM

I don't know how following up on this is helping me in my endeavor to downsize, but I see on an internet site more of John Alden Knight's RUFFED GROUSE, 1st Editions, priced for sale at:

$45-$75 ("very good" condition)
$100-$650 (signed)
$850 (signed, with "extra loose plate" inserted.)

As for the more affordable later reissues, there are the Gunnerman reprints for sale at:

$86-$178

Lastly, for the true antiquarian bibliophile there is:

the Authors [autographed; signed] manuscript for $4,750

REC

Phil Yearout 08-04-2017 10:00 AM

Wow; I got the Gunnerman Press reissues of both a few years back; don't remember if they were free or if I paid around $20 each from a guy who was selling off his library. When they arrived he had thrown in a couple of Charley Dickey's books, "just because". I didn't realize at the time I got a pretty good deal!