Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Upland hunting with hammer guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3990)

scott porter 04-01-2011 10:20 PM

Upland hunting with hammer guns

I have just become the owner of D grade 10 ga. hammer gun #96343 which is featured in the Parker Story on about 10 pages. I took it pheasant hunting at Primland this past weekend expecting to be shooting over pointed birds that would hold as usual. We had a young lady with us on her first hunt and I planned on backing her up. To my surprise the roosters were running and getting up about 20-30 yards from the dogs and required quicker cocking and bringing the gun to shoulder than I could manage. I dont feel comfortable walking with a cocked gun. Is it advisable to walk with the gun cocked but the breech open. The single motion of closing the breech while raising the gun to shoulder would be better, but I have no experience. Do any of you experienced hammer gun guys have some advice? BTW the gun is choked XF,XXF and the birds fell like stones at some substantial distance.

George Lander 04-01-2011 11:06 PM

Scott: IMO it is not advisable to carry a cocked hammer gun with the breech open . If the sears are worn at all the act of closing the gun could cause it to fire. I would advise cocking either one or both hammers when bringing the gun to battery.

Best Regards, George

David Holes 04-01-2011 11:27 PM

Hunting with a hammer gun is a real pleasure, I have not been able to convince myself to hunt with other people while carrying a hammer gun. So when the dogs and I are alone I enjoy those old hammers.

william faulk 04-01-2011 11:38 PM

I was taught by my Father and Uncles to hunt with hammer guns exactly as described,hammers back,breech open.When gun was mounted,with weak hand on forearm,breech snapped shut,all was one fluid motion.Never saw a mechanical misfire but several prefires with gun discharge prior to touching the shoulder.I do agree,(better safe than sorry)especially when hunters todayjust do not have years of experience with the hammer guns.
Bill :nono:

Dean Romig 04-01-2011 11:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You should hunt with hammerguns with whatever method both you and your shooting companions feel most safe.
Me... I hunt with hammers back and breech open until I enter the cover. Then and only then it is breech closed with muzzles pointed skyward. Whenever I am not in the act of deliberate hunting the breech is again opened.

Bill Murphy 04-02-2011 09:46 AM

I prefer cocked and open when hunting with someone else. It is the only position that seems to make others comfortable. When shooting in a preserve situation with a guide and dogs that are not yours, all guns should be open or empty until a dog is on point. Distort your shells to keep them from falling out of the gun.

scott porter 04-02-2011 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice and the great pictures. I have two other hammer guns - one is a Clark and Snieder (Baltimore) and the other is a beautiful Boss, once belonging to the Duke of Portland. I have hunted with all three and really enjoy it. I feel certaint the original owners of these guns found a way to hunt game that "popped up" unexpectedly. Maybe their reflexes and coordination was just enough better to get both barrells cocked while in motion. For now I believe I will hunt breech open and left barrell cocked. At least that way I won't risk a premature discharge of both barrells - that would really get my attention with the 10 ga. Thanks again and any further advice is appreciated. What a great forum.

Dave Suponski 04-02-2011 08:35 PM

Bill had a great suggestion and it works very well. Bite the brass base a little and stuff the shell in. This way if you are hunting with an open gun the shell will not fall out.

Robin Lewis 04-02-2011 09:15 PM

Bite the base of an explosive device :shock: Who is your dentist/neurologist?:corn:

George Lander 04-02-2011 11:12 PM

Scott: The accidental discharge of only one ten gauge barrel is quite enough IMHO

Best Regards, George