Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Meriden and Beyond... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1327)

Dean Romig 01-30-2010 10:53 PM

Meriden and Beyond...

5 Attachment(s)
Left Andover very early this morning with plans to meet Mr. Suponski in Connecticut and visit the sad but proud remains of the Parker Bros Manufactory in Meriden. Our first stop of course, was the East Cemetery where Charles Parker and family are interned. Next we traveled a few miles into the next town to pay homage to Mr. Charles Alonzo King, inventor and author of a great many Parker Bros. patents as well as being the Superintendant of the Parker Bros. Gun Works for something like thirty years.

From these places Dave and I made our way to the home of Mr. John Hanson where we were treated to some wonderful hospitality as well as being given the the run of his gun room to faun over some great examples of Parker Bros. shotguns. I have added an album of John's fabulous Grade 2 Lifter 11 gauge with 28" barrels. Believe me when I say that these pictures do not bring out the true beauty of this outstanding gun. It was a very fulfilling and rewarding day and if John Hanson is reading this I say, once again "Thank you so much for your trust and your warm hospitality. I hope we can do it again soon."

Dave, after looking at the pictures, feel free to tell us what we're looking at.

Dean Romig 01-30-2010 10:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More

Dean Romig 01-30-2010 11:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More

Dean Romig 01-30-2010 11:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And More

Dave Suponski 01-30-2010 11:18 PM

First picture - is the brownstone entrance the Meriden East Cemetery.I need to get that one head stone reerected.As there are no decendants left in Meriden the city has allowed the PGCA to take care of the family plot.
Second picture - are headstones of Charles Parker and family.
Third - picture of the family oblisk.
Fourth picture - Monument erected by the City of Meriden to its first mayor and his family Charles Parker.

Dave Suponski 01-30-2010 11:23 PM

Second set of pictures

Three photos of Charles Alonzo Kings monument and two photos of the Parker Brothers office building where in the attic were found the PGCA hang tags.

Dave Suponski 01-30-2010 11:29 PM

Third set of pictures are of the Parker Bros.office building and Mr.Hansons gun room.The wooden clamp hanging up was taken from the rubble of the Parker factory building after the 1980's fire that all but destroyed it. The last picture in this set is three barrel sets from Johns 16 gauge DH four barrel set.This gun was featured in an article in the last issue of the Parker Pages.

Dean Romig 01-30-2010 11:32 PM

Dave neglected to say that he is standing in the exact spot where the final fitting room was in the building before the fire that destroyed the place.

Dave Suponski 01-30-2010 11:33 PM

Last set of pictures are more of the DH 16 and an original order for 25 #2 vises to Colts Patent Firearms. A nice photo of John Hanson and last but not least a very nice 11 gauge grade two Parker in the oak case with all the accountraments. This gun has been featured in the Parker Pages,Double Gun Journal and the Parker Story. Enjoy!

Dave Fuller 01-31-2010 12:39 AM

Thanks for sharing, I would have enjoyed that outing very much. I was passing through Meriden once about 20 years ago and I asked a couple residents (gas station attendants and such) if they knew where the Parker Gun Works were located and I got some really blank stares. Someday I would like to go back and visit the places you showed us.