Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OPENING DAY 2019 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28060)

Eric Eis 09-03-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 280647)
Dove breast, roast cauliflower, and butternut squash were for dinner. I marinated the dove in a brine of salt, brown sugar, coriander and pepper corns for an hour. Then I let them rest for a half hour before rolling them in butter and olive oil and tossing them in a smoking hot cast iron skillet for about two minutes a side.

That sounds fantastic except for the Squash :rolleyes: Sorry, but the rest looks great!

Harry Collins 09-04-2019 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Eric,

The butternut squash half was left over from another meal. I prefer acorn squash that's been halved and seeded, buttered, salted and roasted skin side up at 400 for half an hour. I flip it over cavity side up with melted butter, brown sugar and a little karo syrup in the center and spooned around the sides and baked another half hour. The sweetness really compliments the dove. I would have done grits, but I had half a head of cauliflower that needed eating.

Here are doves cooked in a 500 oven and two sticks of butter with thyme and bacon for eight minutes. I put them on toast points to soak up the butter and served with fresh tomatoes and cottage cheese and acorn squash.

Kindest, Harry

Dean Romig 09-04-2019 08:45 AM

Harry - that looks delicious! Are the dove breasts rare inside?

Harry Collins 09-04-2019 11:29 AM

Just a little pink and melt in your mouth. If you want the recipe I'll post it.

Dean Romig 09-04-2019 11:38 AM

Thanks anyway Harry - "They" don't let us shoot "Songbirds" here in Massachusetts... :violin:

Harry Collins 09-04-2019 11:45 AM

The South had it rigged so there would be no dove hunting in the Northern Tier States nor those north of the Mason Dixon Line. That way when it got to cold the unmolested birds would fly South to meet our guns. Some knot head changed the rules and let some of the above mentioned states have a limit on dove.

Eric Eis 09-04-2019 12:06 PM

Or here Michigan...............:cuss:

Jerry Harlow 09-04-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 280742)
Or here Michigan...............:cuss:

Y'all keep feeding them up there. We like them to be plump in December and January when they take Christmas vacation down here.

Wayne Owens 09-04-2019 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today wasn't as productive as opening day, but it was still a good time. The temperature limits the time you can hunt. It was 111 degrees when I got home today.

Kingston Wulff 09-04-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 280647)
Dove breast, roast cauliflower, and butternut squash were for dinner. I marinated the dove in a brine of salt, brown sugar, coriander and pepper corns for an hour. Then I let them rest for a half hour before rolling them in butter and olive oil and tossing them in a smoking hot cast iron skillet for about two minutes a side.

Do I see a half finished bottle of barley pop? Looks like half of it evaporated already.