Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st Parker and love it (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32023)

Jeff Stoelk 12-31-2020 08:21 PM

1st Parker and love it

5 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up a 1901 Parker Bros DH, with Damascus barrels, through an online auction. Serial 106207, grade 3, frame 2, bbl weight 1 (I can't find any info on this #). To me, it appears to be in wonderful condition, but what do I know about old side by sides? It has, at some point had the stock lengthened but done very well with almost matching grains. There is, what I believe to be a flaw, at least until I read an earlier posting. Initially I believed the safety to have been broken, although there are no rough spots. It's just not there. I've considered going to a gunsmith to correct this, however, I just read one of the postings that sometimes they were ordered that way. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to add something that possibly wasn't there.
The other thing that caught my eye with this Parker was a wonderful leather case. This case had the home town of family painted on it and certainly appears to be period correct. The town has never had more than 1800 people and my family helped to settle it. I've since been able to track down the probable original owner to be one of two brothers that lived in the town and belonged to a local gun club. I'm still continuing to search further and will be submitting a request for any factory information and place it was shipped to for sale, or was it ordered?
I'll do my best to post pictures as I believe it to be in very good shape for 120 year old shotgun

Jeff Stoelk 12-31-2020 08:29 PM

Some Additional Photos

5 Attachment(s)
Some more shots of my Parker

Eric Estes 12-31-2020 08:31 PM

The forend wood is not at all Parker. The stock may have started out Parker, but has been reworked extensively if it is not simply a replacement. A picture of the muzzle from the top and from the front of the bore would be good too. The engraving looks very nice as well as the barrel finish though. Thanks.

Steve Huffman 12-31-2020 10:09 PM

The safety has been removed and slot filled I do not think it was ordered that way , For the single trigger not sure about that either.

Jeff Stoelk 01-01-2021 02:36 AM

Fore end & safety

I appreciate your response about the fore end Eric. All I can say is the wood matches the stock (I'm a woodworker and know wood) and the serial # is embossed similarly and accurately as the rest of the shotgun, and it fits like a glove (not OJ's). Perhaps you know something that I haven't observed and I'm open to being shown if wrong.

As for the safety response, I've felt from the start that there should be a safety and will explore that more. I have my doubts that it was never there and will be pursuing information from the research area of PGCA.

Thank you both for your responses.

Jeff Stoelk 01-01-2021 02:42 AM

Bore shots

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the requested photos of the bore and a better shot of the fore end serial #.

Dean Romig 01-01-2021 08:17 AM

Yup, the safety was removed and the slot was filled, no question.

Looks like it was modified to be used as a trap gun.

edgarspencer 01-01-2021 09:33 AM

The reverse pitched comb (heel of comb higher than nose of comb) Is most surely a trap shooters dimension. The lack of safety, again, a competition feature. The fore end iron length is the giveaway that a beaver tail was not the original configuration.
That period of engraving was, in my mind, the best.
Ordering a research letter could possibly shed light on the safety and stock.

Bill Murphy 01-01-2021 09:51 AM

What a great old pigeon gun, a piece of shotgun competition history. We need pictures of the trigger with all views shown. We may be able to tell you who made the trigger. It could be a Parker retrofit, but not original. Do we know how long the barrels are? We need better pictures of the stock from front to back. Your PGCA letter will be a better deal if you join PGCA and you will get the newsletter also.

Dean Romig 01-01-2021 10:14 AM

We’d like to see a closer clear picture of the name on the case... Jno. something from Manning Iowa...