Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Stock bending (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14848)

bruce a lyons 11-21-2014 06:53 PM

Stock bending

Once owned a Parker that was sent back to have the heel raised from 3 1/2 to 2 1/2. Does anyone know how this was done? Any links with pictures? Thanks

Rick Losey 11-21-2014 07:09 PM

it is done by soaking the stock in oil, applying heat while applying pressure with a specially designed jig

some one did a pictorial on it on another board, I will see if I can find it

found it http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/sho...ding-Gunstocks

Brian Dudley 11-21-2014 07:33 PM

It is my opinion that anyone considering bending a stock thinks long and hard about it and also considers what type of bending is needed.

Based on many conversations with people who have had stocks bent lead me to believe it is a total crap shoot as to how well the stock will turn out. It all depends on the particular gun, the piece of wood and the amount the wood needs to move along with in what direction.

I believe it is easier to bend for cast or toe than for drop.

In regards to the Parker factor adjusting stock dimensions of returned guns. I would be curious to know how they did it.

John Campbell 11-21-2014 07:49 PM

Mr. Dudley is indeed correct. Anyone contemplating stock bending is pulling the handle on a very low-payout slot machine...

Brian Dudley 11-21-2014 08:02 PM

I had a gentleman call me a month or so back asking about restocking a GH Parker. It was broken through right at the rear tang screw. I mentioned to him that was a little of an odd place for it to break. He later told me that he had the stock bent for drop some years ago and asked if I thought it may have had anything to do with the break. I told him most certainly.

Carvel Whaley 11-21-2014 08:18 PM

I have had a couple of stocks bent to raise the comb. One had been broken and repaired and the bending went fine. It's been a couple of years now and thus far no ill effects. I shoot the gun on a regular basis. I do think it is somewhat of a gamble but I figured on a stock that had been repaired before, what did I have to loose. I would do the same again. Carvel

William Davis 11-22-2014 07:39 AM

I have had 2 Trojans 1 VH and a Birmingham Hammer gun bent. About a half inch at heel. None were collector guns all fit better with a higher comb. It is a crap shoot but my experience is the odds are pretty good. Fellow that does mine warns you in advance, makes no guarantee.

Have steam bent and cold molded fair amount of wood in boat work was intrested in his methods. Jig is simple not simple is knowing how much heat how fast to turn the screws and knowing when to stop. It's not something I plan to try at home.

My 10 G 2 grade hammer gun is 3 1/2 inches at heel. I would not try it. Too much needed too nice to take the risk.

William

Mark Ouellette 11-22-2014 07:50 AM

I have also bent stocks up to a half inch. Sometimes they won't move at all, sometimes they bend and spring back, and sometimes they bend and stay. It's kind of like being alone with a woman. A man can only push so far before all heck breaks loose!

Carvel Whaley 11-22-2014 08:25 AM

The 12ga hammer gun I had bent was almost 2 in at the heal no problems as of yet. It had been broken and repaired before, when bent, it cracked again and was repaired with more modern epoxy and has been ok so far. The way I look at it is, if the gun is not a collectible, and you want to shoot it, why not make it fit. JMHO. There are some options with glue, epoxy and others available today that fill small cracks in 100+ year old wood and make it more durable than it was in the beginning. This is far less expensive than a new stock and for a gun that might end up as a parts gun, can be used and enjoyed. To each his own I suppose. Carvel

Ed Blake 11-22-2014 10:59 AM

I have also had a few stocks bent up and it seems English walnut bends better than American. Plus on 100 year old guns the wood can be considerably older. Proceed with caution.