Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Non-automatic safety conversion (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26533)

Garry L Gordon 02-15-2019 12:44 PM

Non-automatic safety conversion

I'm looking at a Parker that has a non-automatic safety. It's a nice gun, but not in serious collector condition -- it's already some other things done to it. I'm sure I could manage with the safety, but I really like auto safeties, because, well, I'm old and that's what I'm used to. I don't shoot clays, only wild birds. The gun is from the first decade of the 20th Century if that makes a difference.

My questions: How difficult is it to convert the Parker non-automatic safety to one that is automatic? Does anyone have experience with this? Do you have a gunsmith to recommend for the work?

todd allen 02-15-2019 01:36 PM

Put the safety link/rod back in.

Jim DiSpagno 02-15-2019 01:43 PM

Not difficult at all. Contact B. Dudley for repair etc

Craig Budgeon 02-15-2019 04:36 PM

If the gun is restocked or was originally ordered with a non automatic safety a hole for the rod may not exist. The difficulty of repair becomes more of a challenge.

Garry L Gordon 02-15-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Budgeon (Post 265985)
If the gun is restocked or was originally ordered with a non automatic safety a hole for the rod may not exist. The difficulty of repair becomes more of a challenge.

Thanks, Craig (and others who have responded)!

If I purchase this gun, I'll get a letter. Not sure the safety issue would show up, but I should learn something about the stock. BTW, if appears to be an original stock.

So, based on the responses I have received so far, I assume this is a pretty easy change and would require the manufacture of the missing rod (or finding an original part).

Brian Dudley 02-15-2019 05:08 PM

Providing the gun is in its original configuration, with the only modification being the removal of the reset rod, it is an easy task to convert back to auto-resetting.

The gun could have possibly been ordered that way, in which case the only extra step would be drilling out the hole for the reset rod.

Garry L Gordon 02-15-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 265994)
Providing the gun is in its original configuration, with the only modification being the removal of the reset rod, it is an easy task to convert back to auto-resetting.

The gun could have possibly been ordered that way, in which case the only extra step would be drilling out the hole for the reset rod.

Thanks, Brian. I have a feeling this gun was ordered as a trap gun and so may have been ordered with the non-automatic safety.