Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   REMEMBER WHEN ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7246)

william faulk 06-05-2012 01:45 PM

REMEMBER WHEN ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Charlie..
Remember when...we still do it here..Bill

edgarspencer 06-05-2012 05:39 PM

I hate to admit it, but I remember when we did too. I love the color of the water you have there. Ours was a tad darker, No gators though.

Dave Purnell 06-05-2012 06:12 PM

That brings back memories of fifty years ago. It looks like just as much fun.

Dave

Rick Losey 06-05-2012 06:13 PM

yup - no gators up here, but my aunt did sit on shore ready to touch her cigarette to any leach we brought of the water as a passenger.

:p

charlie cleveland 06-05-2012 08:14 PM

heh BILL i sure do remember those days...looks like you boys are about to knock her dry...yep your water a whole lot better lookin than ours...we did not have gators in our old swimmin hole but today theres been a few gators seen...would like to relive some of them afternoons..thanks forreminding us of them days... charlie

Grantham Forester 06-06-2012 05:51 PM

Was her favorite actor William Holden perchance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 71405)
yup - no gators up here, but my aunt did sit on shore ready to touch her cigarette to any leach we brought of the water as a passenger.

:p

Reminds me of the scene in The Bridge On The River Kwai, when they used lit cigarettes to burn off the leeches from the muddy river they were traversing en route to the bridge--just before Commando Major Warden was shot in the ankle by a Japanese soldier- quite a story- I have only used leeches as fishing bait, walleyes seem to really like them.:whistle:

WILLIAM STANELL 07-30-2012 10:05 PM

I did it last week on a stream in upstate Pennsylvania. My boys and I go to the same stream as I did when I was 9 years old. Now I'm 47 and my boys are 9 and 11. They too love the feel of that sting of cold water and the feel of their 28 gauge VH SxS. The field I hunted in since 1978 is still there too.....The way is was and the way it will be.... Keeping the past in the present is the hard task I am always fighting to win.

Steve McCarty 07-30-2012 10:41 PM

I remember when we used to pond jump ducks from off of a farmer's pond in Western Kansas. We'd have to sneak along a plowed field to the pond. We'd spread out and approach the pond and jump up in unison. The ducks would somehow always move to the far side of the pond. Up they'd come and we'd always get a few. If they fell into the water, which they often did we'd be stuck. We'd draw straws to see who was going to strip and go in after the birds. That water was COLD.

Sometimes we'd do it twice in a day. The ducks were grain fed and good eat'n.

Dean Romig 07-31-2012 12:11 AM

Back in the late 50's there was a bend in the river bordering a cornfield belonging to an old Swedish farmer a mile or so from my house. Naturally we all knew the swimming hole in the river as "The Swede's" and most of the kids all around there, girls and boys, would go there on a warm summer's afternoon. Some of us would stay after dark and do some eeling if we remembered to bring a pole. Worms were easy to find... just flip over some cow patties. Skippy would often show up with half full bottle of his Mom's wine and we'd pass it around two or three of us thinkin' we were pretty big stuff. Great times those 50's...

WILLIAM STANELL 07-31-2012 06:30 PM

Yes they were and hope to make more