Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "To Bury a Good Dog" (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18349)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-08-2016 09:23 PM

"To Bury a Good Dog"

2 Attachment(s)
Google this article above written in 1925 by Ben Hur Lampman, and if your eyes don't grow misty, or you don't fall into deep remembrance of your past best 4 legged friends, we have little in common.
Shiner, my setter of 15 years, has passed.He had a great last hunting season, and amazed not only me, but my hunting companions with his endurance and desire to hunt. He stopped eating last Thursday, and after much thought and reassurance from my vet that there would be no recovery, was put to sleep tonight. If you went to Hausmann's last June, he was the setter I was camping out with. Just 2 weeks ago I hunted pheasants with Kenny Graft and Shiner pointed and backed his share of birds on a short hunt.
Shiner was a product of a full blooded Ryman female, and a grouse trial champion, he sired some great puppies like my setter, Betty, probably the best dog I will ever own( or does she own me?)
These pictures are from this past season, the 3 grouse were taken with my VHE 20.
Farewell Shiner, good dog.

Dean Romig 02-08-2016 09:33 PM

Sorry to hear that Harold. Good "best friends" are hard to come by.

Rick Losey 02-08-2016 09:35 PM

sorry to hear about your loss Harold-

the price we pay for their wonderful companionship

Daryl Corona 02-08-2016 09:39 PM

Sorry to hear that old buddy. May he be in bird dog heaven where there are plenty of birds and nobody misses.

Gary Carmichael Sr 02-08-2016 09:58 PM

Harold, He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow bridge, he will be as he was when a young dog, you two can hunt in fields full of birds and never grow tired! I feel your loss like you do not know Gary

Alfred Greeson 02-08-2016 11:49 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss. I think it was Gene Hill who said, "Whoever said you can't buy love never bought a puppy." Like Gary said, I fully believe he will be waiting for you to join him one day. You may loose the friend but his memory will be with you always until you see him again, an you will.

Mills Morrison 02-09-2016 02:25 AM

Sorry to hear the news

Daniel G Rainey 02-09-2016 06:47 AM

Sorry. Great dogs are like best friends, you just don't have enough of them

Angel Cruz 02-09-2016 06:53 AM

Sad to hear of your loss Harold. Every time I read one of these post my eyes get misty and I pray my turn is a long way off.

chris dawe 02-09-2016 07:02 AM

Rough stuff Harold ,I have an old timer at my feet right now ...dreading the day,something us bird dog lovers have to keep in the back of our mind from the first day we bring them home .
It sounds like you guys made the best of it .