Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   William Evans 12 gauge arrived (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25415)

Bill Holcombe 10-09-2018 07:08 PM

William Evans 12 gauge arrived

11 Attachment(s)
Got my Boxlock from Kirby at Vintage Shotguns today. It is a staggering departure from my Parkers. Now, that is not to say it is better, they are just different....very different.

I am not going to bog this down as a comparison as I am going to enjoy my side x sides for what they are.

The "Best" (William Evans term not mine) grade boxlock has 30 inch barrels, ejectors, ribanded fences(which I do like), a straight stock(my first), freshly blacked barrels, a screwgrip(likely made by W C Scott), a 14.5 inch LOP, checkered buttstock with toe clips, bushed firing pins, and double safety sears. The engraving is very well done and quite full, double trigger, gorgeous wood, and I must say I love the button on the end of the forearm for taking it off the barrels.

The weight of the gun was shocking. It actually ways less than my parker 16 gauge and the action feels small in comparison to my Parker 12s. The balance is superb and the gun feels quite lively. Haven't shot it yet, but have some RST rounds ready to try her out.

The gun was made in January 1909 for Mr. A. G. Hogg, a somewhat famous Scottish clergyman who is credited with the rebirth of the missionary movement in the early 20th century and who had just published a book on missionary work just prior to this date, so one may assume the matched pair of guns he ordered in January 25 1909 were a bit of celebration?

Anyway, I seem quite happy with the gun, do not yet have the courage up to get my fancy screwdrivers out and explore its inner workings, but I can't wait to shoot it when the weather clears.

Brian Dudley 10-09-2018 07:24 PM

Bill,

The checkering is really messed up in the wrist area and some of the coloration I am seeing in there makes me suspect that the wrist may have been broken and repaired on it at one time. At the very least, someone botched up a recut on the checkering. Inspect it REALLY closely and make sure you are happy in that respect.

Bill Holcombe 10-09-2018 07:46 PM

Yes, it has had a wrist repair I was aware of.

John Campbell 10-10-2018 10:11 AM

Mr. Holcombe:
Discount the naysayers.

You have a wonderful gun there! Treat it with respect and modest loads, and it will serve you for decades. It's beauty is superb for all to see. Plus, it has a worthy provenance.

The "button" forearm release you have is called an Anson latch. It's second only to the Deeley latch in popularity. BTW... the Parker latch is NOT a proper Deeley latch. It was configured as it is to narrowly avoid patent infringement.

If you can ever find the No. 2 gun, but it!

Brian Dudley 10-10-2018 10:42 AM

Naysayers?

Well... I would not expect anything else from you John.

Excuse me for making sure that Bill was aware of a repaired wrist break on the gun.

John Campbell 10-10-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe (Post 255634)
Yes, it has had a wrist repair I was aware of.

Perhaps a morning Irish coffee is not such a good idea for you...

Bill Holcombe 10-10-2018 11:14 AM

Brian as always I appreciate your thoroughness in evaluating stock condition on guns and John I appreciate your compliments on the gun as well. I knew going in this gun wasn't in pristine condition, however if I only bought pristine guns I would have a lot fewer ones to enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Campbell (Post 255689)
Perhaps a morning Irish coffee is not such a good idea for you...

John I don't quite get this comment?

Jay Gardner 10-10-2018 08:21 PM

As was said in the thread comparing Parker’s with English “best”, they made guns that were often shot thousands of rounds every season. There aren’t many English guns to be had that don’t show the wear of use. That’s a beautifully gun with deep engraving, a killer stick of wood that might weight 6.5 #’s, and it’s not even a “Best” gun. It’s a hell of a gun by any measure. Congratulations.

Bill Holcombe 10-10-2018 09:26 PM

From what I have read in 1909 it would have been considered a best boxlock by William Evans but I don't have a clue.

Bruce Day 10-10-2018 10:40 PM

What is a screwgrip?

Now Brian, John helped me quite a bit in informing me that an Aston Martin English car was far superior to anything else. We have a lot of black mud up here in northern Minnesota and some of the county roads are pretty deep. I was slipping and sliding the other day in the Ford truck with four wheel drive while thinking that if only I had that fancy English car I could go anywhere on the back mud roads, even up to International Falls. So go easy!!