Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Guy, old gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5936)

edgarspencer 12-26-2011 04:04 PM

Gary, many years ago I looked at a 28ga PH in a shop in Cincinnati, and passed on it because it had damascus barrels. I couldn't see anyone spending $250 for a wall hanger. I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and stupid.

Brett Lumsden 02-12-2018 03:11 PM

I'm back. I took the Parker to cabelas to have it appraised. The man said it was sad to see such a nice gun so worthless. He claimed the barrel had been cut off and the stock also. The barrel measures at 27.92 in. And the stock is about 14.25 in. Under the butt cover is about 2in. Of leather with a rubber but pad. What are the length of the two. Oh yah, guy offers me 5 to 600. I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night... Thanks.

Dean Romig 02-12-2018 03:30 PM

Bret, you can expect that kind of ill-informed response from most of the Cabela's gun library employees, including the majority of managers.

We're a lot more sensitive here (we've all had sensitivity training) and we'll give you honest and experienced evaluations of your Parker.

Brett Lumsden 02-12-2018 03:38 PM

Thanks Dean

edgarspencer 02-12-2018 03:42 PM

A barrel that measures 27.92 is very likely original. It would be recorded as 28” but it’s very common to see uncut barrels measure a little under, and occasionally a hair over.

Gerald McPherson 02-12-2018 04:41 PM

204080 easy to remember number. Book shows it is correct at 28 inches.
Is there a dogs head butt plate still on the stock under the leather?

Brett Lumsden 02-12-2018 05:30 PM

Sadly enough, no. The stock looks like it hasn't been cut as there doesn't appear to have any rough edges and looks square. Length?

Rich Anderson 02-12-2018 05:42 PM

I'd take that lace on pad off the stock. Over time it will disfigure the wood if it hasn't already. I agree that the receiver has been blued and you need new screws for the floor plate which are easily attainable. You have a desirable gun with family history but somewhere along the line it has fallen through the cracks regarding proper care. You have the opportunity to make things right again and have the gun "properly" restored. There are qualified people on this forum that can do the work and it would be money well spent and IMHO will increase the value of your heirloom Parker.

Unfortunately in today's world going to Cabela's for a proper appraisal is like asking a doctor for legal advise.

Mills Morrison 02-12-2018 07:17 PM

Rich is right. It really looks like a desirable gun anyone should be proud to own

davidboyles 02-12-2018 07:48 PM

Family P 16ga

Love those 16's just went o NM and bagged limits of Blue Quail with my 16 DHE Damascus works like a charm. Put a little TLC in the baby and good shoot it you're very lucky Parker owner Now!!