Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If grouse, woodcock and trout are your life... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32263)

Andrew Sacco 01-24-2021 06:42 PM

If grouse, woodcock and trout are your life...

....where would you retire?

I am about 10-12 years from retirement, maybe sooner and I'm starting to fret over this. I love my home, my land (88 acres) and some family is still here. But I'm growing weary of NY State. Our kids will not come back here. Taxes go up and up. Our home is nice, not a million dollar home by ANY means, but my property taxes are $18,800 a year. I don't think out West will work for my wife and we want to be near kids, a day's drive but we don't know where they'll end up. Everyone is moving to Tennessee these days (or Florida ugh..). I want trout fishing, grouse and woodcock hunting, any upland birds in addition. I am a stone's throw from the Catskills so trout fishing is amazing. Anyone care to share their dream location whether you live there or not? I don't mind winter but mind it more and more every year.

Tom Pellegrini 01-24-2021 06:56 PM

Andy,
Try looking at Central South Carolina. Trout fishing in the Western part and bird hunting just about all over the state.

Hal Sheets 01-24-2021 06:57 PM

Up state or central Pennsylvania !

Reggie Bishop 01-24-2021 06:59 PM

I have a good friend who has in-laws in northern Idaho. According to him it’s a bird hunters paradise there!

Rick Losey 01-24-2021 07:10 PM

getting to be a common conversation for upstaters

Andrew Sacco 01-24-2021 07:14 PM

My wife wants NC near surf city and the coast. Carolinas seems logical. But Idaho is what I hear for fishing, hunting, biking, skiing and just being out there.

Dean Romig 01-24-2021 07:25 PM

The western Maine mountains. You might have to travel an hour or two for woodcock but everything else on your wish list can be easily found there... and then some!

Jeff Peck 01-24-2021 07:25 PM

What a great decision. Trout season is much longer than bird season, so that is a factor.

Upland bird has always been a great time, especially with family and a great Parker at our side. I would take bird cover, then travel to fish.

Hopefully, only 9 more years for me to decide.

!

Andrew Sacco 01-24-2021 07:32 PM

Dean I could handle that but I would be wifeless. She loves Portland Maine though. We were married in Camden so the state is special to us.

Chad Hefflinger 01-24-2021 08:40 PM

Tough call, the older I get the more I think about it. I’m pretty happy here in norther Ohio, a few hous from fantastic grouse and woodcock hunting in northern MI, and walleye and perch fishing from my home. But, the older I get the less I like the cold, I too wonder where is the place to bein 10 years.