Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mango Curry (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33844)

CraigThompson 07-25-2021 07:15 PM

Mango Curry

3 Attachment(s)
I saw this stuff in the grocery store Thursday and bought a jar to try . Used it with chicken tonight , but was thinking it might be good to try with preserve pheasents . Tastes pretty decent with chicken so I will try it with pheasents .

john pulis 07-26-2021 07:11 AM

We have used that in several recipes, very nice. Mango curry is among the best along with chutney. There is a Jamaican brand, hard to find, made here in the States and in JA that is top notch. Just the right amount of heat and sweetness.

Mike Koneski 08-04-2021 10:56 AM

Love mango curry!! I also have a recipe for Jamaican Jerk sauce that will blow the taste buds out of your mouth.

Phillip Carr 08-04-2021 11:06 AM

Mike I would love to have the recipe.

john pulis 08-04-2021 11:12 AM

Sounds nice. I lived on the Island for five years working for the SD as an anthropologist and grew to appreciate curries of all sorts but mango was the best. I can remember jerk chicken, jerk goat, jerk lobster and how these varied in recipe from one end of the island to the other. Now the coffee, blue mountain, well, among the best. Maybe we should put some together for the Vintagers. Scotch bonnet, hot, hot, hot.

Mike Koneski 08-04-2021 04:44 PM

Phil, I’ll get it typed up and send it to you.

Andrew Sacco 08-04-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 339987)
Phil, I’ll get it typed up and send it to you.

Dude. Seriously? Just him? : )

Mike Koneski 08-04-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 340010)
Dude. Seriously? Just him? : )

Phil’s the only one to ask. 😎

Mike Koneski 08-04-2021 10:20 PM

BTW, John, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee truly is awesome! Now we’re diggin’ where the taters are!!

Andrew Sacco 08-05-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 340028)
Phil’s the only one to ask. 😎

Well I'm not gonna grovel... :bowdown:

Mike Koneski 08-05-2021 07:55 PM

Jerk Sauce

-4-12 habaneros stemmed and cut in half
-1 medium onion , coarsely chopped
-1/2 C coarsely chopped shallots
-2 bunches of chives or scallions trimmed and coarsely chopped
-4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
-1/2 C coarsely chopped parsley
-2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
-2 TBS coarse salt
-1 TBS fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
-2 tsp ground allspice
-1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
-1/4 tsp ground cloves
-1/4 C fresh lime juice
-1/4 C vegetable oil
-1/4 C packed dark brown sugar
-2 TBS soy sauce
-1/4 C cold water or more if needed

Combine chilies, onion, shallots, chives, garlic, parsley, cilantro, ginger, salt, thyme and spices in processor and process to a coarse paste. Add remaining ingredients including water 1 TBS at a time, processing to mix into a thick, spreadable paste. I poke the meat with a skewer then rub the paste onto the meat. Keep in a glass container in the fridge or vacuum pack it. I find vacuum packing works best. Allow it to marinate for at least 12 hours then grill. Enjoy with some natty reggae or ska, mon!! I recommend The Specials, The English Beat or Desmond Dekker and the Aces.

Phillip Carr 08-05-2021 08:31 PM

Headed to the store tomorrow to gather the goodies to make this recipe this weekend.
Thanks Mike

Mike Koneski 08-05-2021 08:35 PM

As you can tell by the habanero ingredient, milder is four, professional taste buds will use 12. It is REALLY good!

Andrew Sacco 08-05-2021 08:39 PM

So you use 38 habby's right Mike?

Mike Koneski 08-05-2021 08:53 PM

14 Carolina Reapers!! ��

Our friend Jack Remington of Remington’s Restaurant would “spice up” my jambalaya with a Carolina Reaper sauce.

CraigThompson 08-05-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 340134)
14 Carolina Reapers!! ��

Our friend Jack Remington of Remington’s Restaurant would “spice up” my jambalaya with a Carolina Reaper sauce.

I had some right bumpin jambalaya at I think it’s called Gin’s up there in your neck of the woods Friday night ! Right surprising food for what I thought was a regular old PA beer joint :whistle:

CraigThompson 08-05-2021 09:53 PM

Few years back I’d grow my own jalapeños and habeneros. I’d take them to work uncooked and eat a couple with lunch and of course bring a few extra if someone wanted to try one . Five of us were eating lunch and a little Mexican girl came over to our table and asked if she could try one of the peppers , she chose a small orange habenero . She bit half of it off and swallowed it then almost immediately turned and said we were F..cking CRAZY to eat those things LOL’s and I thought Mexican folks liked hot food :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Mike Koneski 08-06-2021 08:28 AM

Years ago when I was working construction in the family business, I grew some habaneros. I took a few to work one day and decided to mess with the roofers. I told the one guy that they were dwarf sweet bell peppers. He took one, pulled the stem off and chomped it down. Not only did our crew get a good laugh but we were pointing and laughing as his eyes were sweating profusely!! 😂😂😂 Good times, good times.

Mike Koneski 08-08-2021 01:59 PM

If you like this Jamaican Jerk sauce and you're really nice, I can share my Cincinnatti Chili recipe. Just sayin'. :whistle:

charlie cleveland 08-08-2021 05:59 PM

I just cannot eat those hot peppers but my dad would have loved those hot peppers....you boys better order a picture of ice water to put that fire out....charlie

CraigThompson 08-08-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 340368)
I just cannot eat those hot peppers but my dad would have loved those hot peppers....you boys better order a picture of ice water to put that fire out....charlie

I found Guiness Stout cuts it best and milk second .

Phillip Carr 08-08-2021 11:16 PM

Made the jerk sauce tonight. Meats marinating. Can’t wait. Send that chili recipe also.
Just like my plumbing jobs took me three trips to the store to get the stuff. LOL.

Phillip Carr 08-10-2021 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The recipe turned out great. Marinated some steaks for about 24 hours. Served these up with some Mexican street corn. Excellent.
Now for that Chile recipe.

Mike Koneski 08-10-2021 09:43 PM

Cincinnati Chili

2 TBSP butter
2 lb ground critter
6 bay leaves
1 lg onion finely chopped
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cocoa per lb of meat
1 TBSP star anise or 1 tsp anise extract
4 tsp vinegar
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
2 TBSP pure ground red chili
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1 @ 6 oz can tomato paste

Cooked pasta or rice
1/2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 pint sour cream

1)Melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add meat and cook, break up lumps and stir occasionally until browned. Drain off fat.

2)Stir in remaining ingredients through tomato paste. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Add vinegar if too sweet and ground chili if not spicy enough.

3)Bring mixture to boil while stirring ,then lower heat to a simmer for 2-4 hours depending on the size of your recipe. If using a crock pot cover and simmer on high for two hours. If cooking on a stove uncover and stir occasionally.

4)Place a small amount of cooked pasta or rice in a bowl , spoon on a generous portion of chili (this is chili one way). Add grated cheese (two way), onion (three way) and/or sour cream (four way). Rice works better when serving a large group.

Enjoy this gastronomical delight with some hardy dark bread.

Phillip Carr 08-10-2021 11:32 PM

Thanks Mike looks like a great recipe.

Mike Koneski 08-11-2021 01:14 PM

It's my favorite chili recipe. I make it for large groups with maybe 12-16 lbs of ground critter. Just adjust the rest of the ingredients for every two additional pounds of critter. If you like spicy chili just add extra hot pepper. This stuff will warm you up. It really smells good cooking with all the different spices and seasonings.

Mike Koneski 08-12-2021 09:24 AM

Anyone interested in Manhattan Clam Chowder?

Phillip Carr 08-12-2021 09:38 AM

I am. Thanks Mike

Mike Koneski 08-12-2021 09:55 AM

I'll get that up today Phil. My dad used to make a huge pot of it every year and it would not last very long.

Mike Koneski 08-12-2021 10:21 AM

With hunting seasons coming up I also have a venison liver pate recipe that is killer!!

Andrew Sacco 08-12-2021 10:41 AM

I once watched someone dump a handful of Frito's corn chips into their bowl of chili. WTH? Then I tried it. You will be ruined : )

Mike Koneski 08-12-2021 12:16 PM

Andy, I have learned when it comes to gastronomical delights to never say never.

Andrew Sacco 08-12-2021 01:34 PM

How do you keep your impish figure Mike!??

Mike Koneski 08-12-2021 03:11 PM

Clean living brother. :whistle:

john pulis 08-13-2021 07:16 AM

Desmond Decker, the Skatalites, the Ethiopians, early Ska blending into Reggae: synonymous with jerk chicken, mannish water, and a cold, very cold Red Stripe. I still watch that old James Bond, Dr. No, filmed on the North Coast, Kingston, and the cool in temperature mountains of Manchester. A now long gone era. Scotch bonnet peppers, habaneros, were mixed in varying amounts in most all foods, especially coconut rice. Ya Mon. See ya at the Vintagers.

Mike Koneski 08-13-2021 09:04 AM

John, let’s not forget Dandy Livingstone, Toots and the Maytals, etc…

Mike Koneski 08-13-2021 09:17 AM

Manhattan Clam Chowder

7-10 dozen clams or 3-5 lbs chopped with broth
1 lb bacon chopped
1 medium bag of onions, chopped
3 bags shoe peg corn
2 medium cans yellow corn
2 lg cans crushed tomatoes
6 bell peppers any color, cored and chopped
7 potatoes skinned, cut into small cubes
2 lg cans mushrooms
1 TBS coarse salt
1 TBS ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cans beer

-In large pot, sauté bacon and onions for 5-10 minutes or until onions are soft
and bacon done.
-Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme. Bring to boil and reduce heat to
simmer. Simmer 45 minutes covered.
-Add potatoes and bell peppers, simmer 20 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.
-Add corn, mushrooms, clams, clam broth, uncovered and simmer 10-15
minutes. Stir occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I like to crush crackers into mine and add black pepper and hot sauce.

CraigThompson 08-13-2021 12:31 PM

I like the Manhattan version but think I prefer New England Clam Chowder a skoosh more . The soups/chowders were one of my favorite things about hunting on the Eastern Shore of Maryland every resteraunt over there had their own special secret recipe for Cream of crab soup . I’m a big big fan of Maryland Cream of Crab soups , not so much She Crab Soup however . Yes sir when I hunted in Maine I ate lobster darn near three times every day and when I hunted in Dorchester county MD I ate a lot of crab be it soup , crab cakes , eggs Chesapeake or some other derivative there of . FWIW I’ve been casing the menus of the eateries in Georgetown SC in anticipation ! Sure I enjoy the shooting but the EATING is quite important also :whistle:

Mike Koneski 08-13-2021 01:53 PM

Craig, half the fun of going to the shoots is enjoying the local cuisine. We always had our favorite eateries wherever we went. As for chowder, I prefer the Manhattan style over New England any day. Not saying I won't order NE Style, but if I have my choice it'll be Manhattan style every time. Just like steak, twitching and au poivre.

john pulis 08-13-2021 02:07 PM

Poor Toots, passed from covid. And yes, Livingstone. Thanks Mike.