Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Barrel hook or roll joint (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24325)

Bill Graham 05-23-2018 03:04 PM

Barrel hook or roll joint

When a Parker gets off face, is there a tendency for the wear to be concentrated more on the hook or the roll joint, or is there no real tendency?

Thanks.

Brian Dudley 05-23-2018 05:43 PM

The joint is case hardened and the hook is not. If that suggests anything.

Dean Romig 05-23-2018 06:27 PM

Russ Bickell tightened my 2-frame DH beautifully several years ago by welding up my hook and precision cut it for a perfect tight fit. According to Russ he didn't do any work on the roll joint but I suspect he would have polished it.

Jevon Jamieson 05-23-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 244613)
Russ Bickell tightened my 2-frame DH beautifully several years ago by welding up my hook and precision cut it for a perfect tight fit. According to Russ he didn't do any work on the roll joint but I suspect he would have polished it.

Do you mind if I ask about what that cost you? I’m looking at a GH needing to be tightened up a hair.

Bill Graham 05-23-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 244609)
The joint is case hardened and the hook is not. If that suggests anything.

How many thousandths larger than stock are the two oversized roll joints you sell?

Dean Romig 05-23-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jevon Jamieson (Post 244627)
Do you mind if I ask about what that cost you? I’m looking at a GH needing to be tightened up a hair.

That was a long time ago and he did other work for me as well, but I believe that part of the work was $450 or $500.

Unfortunately, Russ passed on about five or six years ago.

Brian Dudley 05-24-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Graham (Post 244632)
How many thousandths larger than stock are the two oversized roll joints you sell?

Original joints that I have removed from guns and measured vary in size. Anywhere from .535" Dimeter to .538" overall Diameter. The oversized joints that I offer are in .540", .545" and .550" diameters.

David Cancilla 05-18-2019 04:36 PM

Hi Bill,
I used to have one I got from Galazan, but gave to someone that needed it at the time. Are yours still available - I have a 32" DHE Trap in need of one.
- thanks - Dave Cancilla

Bruce Day 05-19-2019 03:26 PM

“A hair”?

Is the lever full left and the barrels still loose? Have you determined that it is the joint and not the lock bolt?

David Cancilla 05-20-2019 08:55 AM

I'm currently using brass shim stock to put the barrels 'on face', but the lever was a tiny bit left of center so I put the wedge (I ordered it with the roll hook) in the barrels. The lever is a little far right, but I'll finish that once I have the jointing correct. The gun was refinished when I bought it, looked very nice with great stock dimensions, the mechanical issues I can deal with. I can make a new roll joint - but it would be easier to start out with an oversize replacement. - take care - Dave