Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone use this ammo? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41247)

Rick Roemer 02-16-2024 04:32 PM

Anyone use this ammo?

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve always been an RST fan, but as everyone knows 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge has not been reproduced regularly in the last few years. Through this site, I found a company called Shenk ammunition and decided to try them. The shells are 2 1/2 inch, 1 oz of number 8 shot and 1175 ft./s. Not using any precise measurement tools I can tell these recoil much greater than an RST of similar composition. I’m shooting a one frame DH Damascus 12 gauge and I’m worried about stock damage. I’m wondering if others have had similar experience with this brand? I think they are well-made shells, but the felt recoil is substantially greater than others of this rating. Thx

Kevin McCormack 02-16-2024 07:15 PM

Check out Tom Roster's endorsement of the new B&P 1-oz. 2 1/2" 12 ga. loads for vintage doubles in the latest issue of Shooting Sportsman magazine.

Brian Dudley 02-17-2024 09:02 AM

They are overpriced and the whole operation is a little bit of a scam/ponzi scheme of some sort in my opinion. I am surprised you even got your hands on some.

Jeff Sweeter 02-17-2024 09:53 AM

Check out website Carolans.com. Looks like B & P website.They list a shell called F2,Subsound. Specs listed are 2 5/8" 7/8 oz at 1100 fps and 5804 psi and 1 oz. 1100 fps and 6530 psi.Was able to add to cart but then redirected to non secure site.There is a # to call,but haven't tried that yet.Might check it out.They also list another shell that's 2 3/4" but with 1160 fps and lower psi. Jeff

Mike Koneski 02-17-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Roemer (Post 405596)
I’ve always been an RST fan, but as everyone knows 2 1/2 inch 12 gauge has not been reproduced regularly in the last few years. Through this site, I found a company called Shenk ammunition and decided to try them. The shells are 2 1/2 inch, 1 oz of number 8 shot and 1175 ft./s. Not using any precise measurement tools I can tell these recoil much greater than an RST of similar composition. I’m shooting a one frame DH Damascus 12 gauge and I’m worried about stock damage. I’m wondering if others have had similar experience with this brand? I think they are well-made shells, but the felt recoil is substantially greater than others of this rating. Thx

Just curious as to why you shoot 2 1/2” shells in the D grade gun?

Rick Roemer 02-18-2024 08:50 AM

If I can find 2 1/2 I shoot them. Otherwise low pressure 2 3/4 work. I thought supporting a new company catering to our kind of guns was a good move. Problem is they have much greater recoil than I’m used to in this application. Just wondered if others had found the same to be true with these shells. I have no way to measure so they could be within specs I suppose.

Peter Larsen 03-09-2024 05:09 PM

In a totally non scientific test, four of us all shooting different guns with Shenk shells versus a variety of commercial 2 3/4 “ “light” loads and also RST loads, consistently (100% accuracy), could identify the Shenk shells due to much greater felt recoil and loudness. Even with proper hearing protection . I tried to find someone to test the velocity and pressure without luck. I emailed Shenk and received no reply. I have several boxes of the “quail” and “grouse” loads. I won’t shoot them in my vintage guns any longer.

Rick Roemer 03-09-2024 05:47 PM

Exactly my experience

Andrew Sacco 03-09-2024 05:51 PM

I've not heard much good about them, mostly recoil. I reached out to them a while back about pressures and local availability more than once and nobody ever got back to me. B&P all the way if you can't get RST.

edgarspencer 03-09-2024 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Larsen (Post 407180)
I tried to find someone to test the velocity and pressure without luck.

Precision will test them. They need 5 or 6 shells. One gets dissected.