Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OK, a pet peeve. Let me know if this is unreasonableble (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33349)

Phil Yearout 05-25-2021 09:43 PM

OK, a pet peeve. Let me know if this is unreasonableble

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I have a problem with the "for sale" ads that say "For sale at.... - wherever". I'm guessing there are a lot of dues paying folks here - me included - who probably will never attend any of the big functions back east. And yet, I get to see ads for "for sale at...only - will not ship" and so on. To be honest, I've yet to see anything I couldn't live without, but still...if I'm a paying participant here, and folks are using this venue to advertise something for sale, shouldn't I have the same right to buy it as anyone? If the shipping is thought to be exorbitant, isn't that up to me as a buyer? And if you don't, as a seller, feel like packaging it or shipping it, then maybe you ought to offer it somewhere elsewhere. There.

Victor Wasylyna 05-25-2021 10:27 PM

Yes, unreasonable!

Such postings give PGCA members—including you—exclusive opportunities. It is your decision not to participate in these exclusive opportunities. It is ridiculous that you suggest other PGCA members should be prohibited from offering and participating in such exclusive opportunities.

As the youngins say: “Oh wah waah!”

-Victor

Phil Yearout 05-25-2021 11:01 PM

Thanks for your opinion Victor, but I'm not sure you got my point. I certainly have no problem with members offering "exclusive opportunities"; in fact I have bought and sold a number of items on this site. My issue is that it's not a fair playing field if we don't all have equal access to the opportunity, and I don't think we do when the point of sale is limited to locations where some of us would have to drive a thousand miles or more to get to. But as Dennis Miller used to say back when he used to be funny, "That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Bill Murphy 05-26-2021 09:32 AM

"Will not ship" is a very common phrase among sellers, regardless of whether they suggest meeting at a particular venue or not.

Brian Dudley 05-26-2021 04:57 PM

Another scenario is items that would be cumbersome to ship. Like Ammo. Or larger items. I have advertised various items like this for sale as for pickup only at shoots. Like gun racks, or even a stock duplication machine.
Or there are other things that someone may pay a fair price for, but not the amount to ship it. Like reloading components, hulls, wads, etc...

An in person deal keeps expenses down and the deal personal.

Mills Morrison 05-26-2021 09:24 PM

I assume most sellers will work with people who can’t attend and need to ship.

Bill Murphy 05-28-2021 02:51 AM

Mills is right. All restrictions are not always mentioned in the ad. All restrictions are not engraved in stone. Exceptions will be made among friends and serious buyers. Thanks, Mills.

Mike Koneski 05-29-2021 10:40 AM

Some sellers get weary of tire kicking or having guns sent back (for any reason) which leaves a high chance of the gun being damaged. I have no problem with sellers only allowing for a sale at an event or certain venue. It is within their rights and does not violate any PGCA guidelines. I get bent when I see a nice double for sale and I missed the sale by MINUTES!!!!!! As the saying goes, "A day late and a dollar short."

Jeffrey Hayes 05-31-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Yearout (Post 335108)
Maybe I'm way off base here, but I have a problem with the "for sale" ads that say "For sale at.... - wherever". I'm guessing there are a lot of dues paying folks here - me included - who probably will never attend any of the big functions back east. And yet, I get to see ads for "for sale at...only - will not ship" and so on. To be honest, I've yet to see anything I couldn't live without, but still...if I'm a paying participant here, and folks are using this venue to advertise something for sale, shouldn't I have the same right to buy it as anyone? If the shipping is thought to be exorbitant, isn't that up to me as a buyer? And if you don't, as a seller, feel like packaging it or shipping it, then maybe you ought to offer it somewhere elsewhere. There.

That sounds like a very reasonable argument and I agree.

Shane Jennings 05-31-2021 03:35 PM

The owner of a gun or anything else has the right to sell it whenever/wherever/however he/she chooses. If that means I don't get access to their stuff, that's just the way it is.