Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2 7/8" 10ga Reloading Data (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6282)

Mark Ouellette 11-18-2014 05:08 AM

Do not use Hevi Shot instead of another type of non-toxic listed in the loading data. The hardness of the shot affects pressure. In general the harder the shot the higher the peak pressure. Hevi Shot is harder than most other non-toxic shot types.

Bill Murphy 11-18-2014 08:57 AM

Pete, (and others) the published loads with 44 or 45 grains of Herco don't sound right because they are ridiculous loads, not because of a misprint or a change in the character of the powder over the years. The velocity of those loads is 1350 and up. No one needs such a load, either in a fluid steel gun or a Damascus gun. Pete, thanks for publishing the spreadsheet, but maybe we shouldn't include every published load, certainly not the ones mentioned.

Pete Lester 11-21-2014 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 151388)
Pete, (and others) the published loads with 44 or 45 grains of Herco don't sound right because they are ridiculous loads, not because of a misprint or a change in the character of the powder over the years. The velocity of those loads is 1350 and up. No one needs such a load, either in a fluid steel gun or a Damascus gun. Pete, thanks for publishing the spreadsheet, but maybe we shouldn't include every published load, certainly not the ones mentioned.

Bill, I agree you with you that I would not use that much Herco and shoot it in any gun. As far as the spreadsheet goes my goal was to find and record in a single place all published loads for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. As you can see from the attached scan these loads were published in the 1968 Hercules "Smokeless Powder Guide". The benefit here is that if these loads were published then they would have been within SAAMI standards for pressure at the time, which does not mean they are suitable for composite barrels. Although some of the components are no longer available it allows reloaders who wildcat to make better educated decisions about their reloads. I agree 44/45 grains of Herco is too much, but a 25% reduction to 32/33 grains may be a nice load, and that is the value of the spreadsheet as I see it.

Rick Losey 11-21-2014 08:18 AM

Peter - those of us who came late to the short 10 really appreciate all of your effort

looking at these loads- i find it odd they do not specify a brand for the hull or primer - both components that have an affect on pressure.

Pete Lester 11-21-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 151605)
Peter - those of us who came late to the short 10 really appreciate all of your effort

looking at these loads- i find it odd they do not specify a brand for the hull or primer - both components that have an affect on pressure.

Thanks, it is odd by today's standards but that information, hull, primer and pressure is not to be found in that 1968 Hercules publication.

Steve Havener 11-26-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane johnson (Post 69622)
Great stuff, if only you had some for 2 5/8".....:(

Shane if you roll crimp you may be able to use the 2 7/8th inch folded crimp data for your 2 5/8th inch loads. I use fiber wads in my 10 gauge loads so adjusting wad column height by 1/4 inch is not a problem

Rick Losey 11-26-2014 07:13 PM

i have been roll crimping all my 2 5/8 - and so far have not tried a low pressure load from Peter's sheet that I could not use.

Mark Garrett 01-23-2015 11:09 AM

Need a little help .Not very familiar with 10Ga loadings , but being that I just bought an Ithaca Super 10ga I need to start . What Remington hulls is being referred to in the spread sheet with these designations , Rem whtltr , Rem OS, Rem blkltr . Can all the Remington hulls with a plastic base wad be used interchangeably ?

Thanks.

Pete Lester 01-23-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Garrett (Post 156832)
Need a little help .Not very familiar with 10Ga loadings , but being that I just bought an Ithaca Super 10ga I need to start . What Remington hulls is being referred to in the spread sheet with these designations , Rem whtltr , Rem OS, Rem blkltr . Can all the Remington hulls with a plastic base wad be used interchangeably ?

Thanks.

Congrats on the new gun. Rem Hulls white letter is as the name applies, they are factory loaded hulls stamped with white letter marking. I have a bunch that were factory busmuth loads. Rem black letter, same thing, black letter stamping, I have seen that on what were factory steel shot loads. Rem OS, I am not sure what OS stands for. I purchased some unfired Rem hulls with no markings for a snow goose hunt a couple of years ago and loaded them with SR7625 and Bismuth 1's. I shot them through a Twist barrel Parker NH and Rem 1894 Damascus gun without issue. If the Remington hulls have a plastic base wad I load them the same but that's just me.

Mark Garrett 01-23-2015 12:04 PM

Thanks for help the help . I bought some new Remington hulls from Precision , so they should work just fine . I have 700x on hand and will load some 1 1/8 loads and try her out . I also have a fair amount of 7625 on but am saving that for my 16ga LP hunting Loads .

I plan on putting some Bismuth loads together for the short 10 , but don't really need or want low pressure , so I will develope something with another powder and send them to Tom Armburst for testing .

Thanks again for the Explanation .

Mark