Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cherrios ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19230)

William Davis 06-09-2016 05:17 PM

Cherrios ?

Some time ago on the 16 G Forum read about using Cherrios as a shot cup filler. Tried it putting the Cherrio on top a couple of times did not work. Gave the idea up. Ended up with a good load that crimped fine with 7/8 oz shot.

Recently loading some very light 16 G in Herters hulls not getting crimps I liked. Gave the Cherrios another try, this time dropping one inside the Down Range DR 16 wad. 3/4 oz # 9 on top. Powder charge is light too, with the DR wad sitting on top of the powder.

It makes a nice crimp. I am pretty sure the Cherrio is crushing on crimp & the little bit of cereal filler is making the difference in stack height.

I guess it does work after all.

William

Jerry Harlow 06-09-2016 06:30 PM

Plus you'll be "feeling your oats" when you shoot!:rotf:

charlie cleveland 06-09-2016 06:59 PM

i think that is what pete lester likes to use...me i ve tried a grain of corn some brand of cerial and tissue paper the tissue paper is what i use most of the time...heh it works...charlie

Daniel Carter 06-09-2016 07:04 PM

Half a Cherrio takes up the space o1/8 oz in 28 ga 5/8 loads. Think i got the idea from Paul Harm or Pete Lester. Single stage loader don't go deep or it will jam drop tube and shot will spill when you go up. Do not eat them they will be the first component you run out of

William Davis 06-09-2016 07:33 PM

I just jammed one in the drop tube, and spilled shot. One out of 200, can live with that.

William

Rich Anderson 06-09-2016 09:39 PM

I use the Honey Nut Cherrio's. I have found they give the best results.:rotf:

William Davis 06-09-2016 10:58 PM

My wife insisted on the sugar free all natural Cherrios.. Kidding aside if a Cherrio works in the 16 G why not a mini shredded Wheat in short 10 G shells.

William

Pete Lester 06-10-2016 09:04 AM

Plain old Cheerios are a readily available inexpensive filler material for reloads. The use of 1, 1/2 or a quarter Cheerio can raise the shot column to get a proper crimp. I have tried multiple Cheerios as filler but multiples seem to cause some squib loads. As pointed out do not bring the drop tube down enough so it touches the Cheerio, it can plug the hole the shot and powder drop through (fiber filler wads can cause the same problem). Honey nut or sugar coated Cheerios will make a mess of your hands, your hulls and anything else you touch if you load a lot of shells, so I suggest you save those for eating.

Where I have found a Cheerio most helpful is loading for the Short Ten, I can take any 1 1/8 ounce load that crimps correctly, put a Cheerio on top of the filler wad and 1 ounce loads will now crimp correctly.

Any filler wad should be placed below the shot, putting a Cheerio or filler wad above the shot will to some degree open the pattern, sometimes a lot.

Rich Anderson 06-10-2016 09:19 AM

I used the cherrio when I was loading low pressure 20ga shells using a 2 3/4 inch hull. I put the cherrio on top of the shot then crimped it. It worked like a charm. I haven't used them since I have gone to loading the 2 1/2 inch hull.

Jack Kuzepski 06-10-2016 10:49 AM

I use those polish peanuts used in packing material.

Jack K