Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1897 Ithaca Crass Grade 3 Engraver? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34580)

Bruce P Bruner 10-27-2021 11:49 AM

1897 Ithaca Crass Grade 3 Engraver?

2 Attachment(s)
My latest acquisition was inspired by the engraving. Though not in especially fine condition I was drawn to it because the Ithaca engravers at that time (Parker also), Edward Lathham or Joseph Loy, may have applied the engraving. If someone here with an experienced eye can identify the work illustrated in the photos I would greatly appreciate it.
Of note, 12 Gauge, 28" barrels, the furniture is in very nice condition but the Chain Damascus could use refreshing. Serial number 29614. When the gun is in hand I can provide better photos.
Do the Ithaca factory records reveal enough pertinent information warranting a letter request? Thank you, Bruce
Mods: please feel free to move this post if inappropriate.

Dave Noreen 10-27-2021 12:31 PM

By the serial number chronology in the second edition of Walter's book that is an 1897 vintage gun, putting it two years after Joe Loy moved to Ilion and took over Remington's engraving department. The engraving may well be a Loy design, but I would expect the masters only worked on the higher grades and the No. 1s to No. 3s or 4s were done by a journeyman in the engraving department.

Dean Romig 10-27-2021 01:39 PM

To me it doesn't look like Loy's work.

Bruce P Bruner 10-27-2021 02:03 PM

Other Side: Different Dog

1 Attachment(s)
Pointer with straight tail:

charlie cleveland 10-27-2021 02:06 PM

nice engraving and that dog looks like a dog on a lefever...I too would be drawn in by that engraving...charlie

Phil Yearout 10-28-2021 11:36 AM

Gotta love Ithaca engraving :bowdown:!

Will Gurton 11-14-2021 10:41 PM

Loy Ithacas

There is another on one of the on-line Gun Peddling sites that advertises Loy engraving that I have to question also.

There is plenty that we do not know from that craft from that period of time.

Shame.

Will

Harold Lee Pickens 11-21-2021 07:02 PM

I had a grade 3 12 ga Lewis with chain link damascus, dont know why I sold it .

Bruce P Bruner 11-22-2021 07:30 PM

Ithaca Crass repaired:

2 Attachment(s)
Scored a double today, FedEx delivered my Parker Top Lever barrels from Breck Gorman and UPS dropped off the Ithaca Crass Grade 3 that was repaired by Gunter Pfrommer. Gunter tightened the top lever to park to the right upon closing and now the top lever stays to the far right when the gun is open.
I had originally planned on an ejector repair but Gunter said the gun contained no such such mechanism. Even though the extractors are articulated they function as ejectors. Odd to me. Perhaps the photo will reveal some insight. I’m still suspicious that this is an ejector gun, no disrespect to Gunter. If you enlarge the photo you will se two opposing fingers in the foreword channel in the frame. They are there for a reason.
He cleaned, oiled and test fired the shotgun before packaging. He did a nice job and turnaround was fast.

Wayne Owens 11-22-2021 09:26 PM

Bruce, you are correct, that is indeed a ejector gun. Those 2 opposing fingers you described are the ejectors. The sixth screw on the sideplates is another way to tell. I own a 1898 Crass with ejectors and it letters as such. Nice gun by the way!