Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any reloading pro's near Cleveland? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19594)

John Nagel 08-14-2016 07:18 PM

Any reloading pro's near Cleveland?

Hi guys,

I am a new reloader, and I am at my wits end trying to reload win aa 28ga shells so that they slide into the barrel of my AyA with the ease that factory loads do. I have made what seems like a million adjustments and watched a million videos and read a many pages of my lyman book and the MEC size master manual. I just can't get it. If someone would be willing to help it would mean a heck of a lot to a young shooter who doesn't know anything yet!

John

Steve Havener 08-14-2016 07:35 PM

John I am not an expert with MEC loaders but have had the same problem when loading on my PW and Pacific ( pre Hornaday) loaders and the problem is usually in the final crimp die not adjusted down far enough for the taper crimp in the final crimp die to form the case mouth properly.

John Nagel 08-14-2016 08:07 PM

I just tried moving the final crimp down various amounts and that isn't fixing the issue.

Daniel Carter 08-14-2016 08:40 PM

Is the problem in the plastic case or in the brass? If the plastic the starter or final crimp may be too deep bulging the plastic. If so back off. If brass it is the resizer collet. Does the shell slide in to a point then bind? Some AA28 i have are noticeably longer than other batches and i have to raise starter and final crimp dies for those.

John Nagel 08-14-2016 08:49 PM

Is it the plastic, it starts to slide in and then theres resistance, like the tips are too wide or something. I have tried backing the crimp out, in ect. in increments. I just can't seem to get it right.

William Davis 08-14-2016 08:51 PM

Could be a couple things try to isolate the bind

Put some stripes down the loaded cartridge with a Sharpie. See were its binding as it goes in the chamber . Do the same thing loading in your press & see if the press is taking care of the offending spot.

Sizemaster ought to take care of the brass, but you never know . If it's the mouth of the hull measuring with a dial caliper ought to indicate straight, tapered, or " Mushroomed" . cure is different depending .

William

John Nagel 08-14-2016 09:27 PM

"mushroomed" sounds correct, I can load an almost factory perfect crimp, but the top of edges of the mouth puff out a bit.

Daniel Carter 08-14-2016 10:11 PM

Try backing out the screw in the final crimp die and see if that does away with the puffing out or for a quick look don't go all the way down if it's a single stage machine.

John Nagel 08-14-2016 10:52 PM

I have tried adjusting the crimps in about 100,000 different configurations and nothing seems to work.

Steve Havener 08-15-2016 12:10 AM

OK John I'll make one more recommendation. Back off the final crimp die a few turns and put a new unfired shell in the final crimp station then lower the die onto the new shell and adjust the die down until it is snug. If that doesn't do it or at least get you close I am out of ideas.