Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   South Dakota (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31376)

Randy G Roberts 10-14-2020 09:00 AM

South Dakota

We will be making our annual trip to SD tomorrow in anticipation of the Phez opener this Saturday. About 16 hours of drive time for us. Anyone else in our group heading out for opening day ?

Also the reports I have from the locals where we hunt W of Winner were favorable as of a month ago, I have not checked in since that time. Anyone have any info on the bird count this year ?

Jeff Christie 10-14-2020 09:37 AM

You’re going to have a lot of competition. Yesterday Scheels in Sioux Falls was full of folks buying upland hunting gear. You will have good hunting. There are a lot more birds this year.

Randy G Roberts 10-14-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Christie (Post 314070)
You’re going to have a lot of competition. Yesterday Scheels in Sioux Falls was full of folks buying upland hunting gear. You will have good hunting. There are a lot more birds this year.

We will be hunting private land so no competition so to speak. We have been the beneficiary of some very fortunate circumstances that have allowed us to enjoy this land alone for the last 20 years or so. Like all good things I fear the end is not so distant as the Owners are aging and a move is a possibility.

Harry Neil 10-14-2020 09:43 AM

Start hunting on Nov 9th. Gettysburg....

Terry Hobson 10-14-2020 11:02 AM

I spent a couple weeks in SD hunting chickens. Hunting pressure was by FAR the highest I had seen in my 10 years or so of hunting there. I was a little underwhelmed with pheasant sightings as compared to glowing reports I had heard. Would be enough for a good time I'm sure.

Randy G Roberts 10-14-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Hobson (Post 314075)
I spent a couple weeks in SD hunting chickens. Hunting pressure was by FAR the highest I had seen in my 10 years or so of hunting there. I was a little underwhelmed with pheasant sightings as compared to glowing reports I had heard. Would be enough for a good time I'm sure.

What area were you hunting Terry ?

Terry Hobson 10-14-2020 11:22 AM

Fort Pierre NGL

Ken Hill 10-14-2020 11:39 AM

Heading out Friday to the Gettysburg area. The weather looks interesting with maybe some snow on Sunday, but it is changing everyday.

Ken

Randy G Roberts 10-14-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hill (Post 314078)
Heading out Friday to the Gettysburg area. The weather looks interesting with maybe some snow on Sunday, but it is changing everyday.

Ken

Weather actually looks good for us. Seems like heat is always the culprit in the early season but they are calling for cooler temps this year with highs in the mid to low 50's and lows in the upper 20's. No rain or snow in sight for now but then there is always the wind.

Richard Flanders 10-14-2020 06:00 PM

I was going to joke that the only thing we are getting ready to do here in Fairbanks is shovel snow...... then I looked out the window and it's snowing!!