Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I must be getting soft (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25586)

allen newell 10-29-2018 08:03 PM

I must be getting soft

So, today, after a good rainstorm came thru plymouth, the sun came out and i decided to take Sophie, my english setter to the the quail fields at myles standish state park here in plymouth. I figured that with a strong sun out after a hard rain would have any quail out in the fields to dry off. In the first quail field, i put sophie down and a hundred yards down field she makes a solid point. I walk over to her, make my approach to her at an angle to her side so she sees me. I get in and the quail flushes. I shoot it. One bird down. Sophie breaks, runs over to where the bird is, picks it up and brings it in to me. Good dog, good dog sophie i say. I swear she is smiling at me now! We go to the next field and about halfway down field she goes in point again. I make my approach. The quail flush, all 8 or 10 of them at once! I bring the parker 20 ga to my shoulder and just stand there in wonderment watching all these birds take to wing. I couldn't pull the trigger. It was just to stirring a moment for me. We worked the cover over looking for additional birds but none were located. On the way out I stopped in at the ranger headquarters to get a map of the pheasant fields. Ended up giving my lone quail to the headquarters secretary who apparently loves game cooking. I kept thinking about that covey that sophie located and that i just didn't have the heart to shoot even though i had already taken one bird. I must be getting soft in my advancing age...

Bob Kimble 10-29-2018 08:28 PM

I'm right with you Allen. It's a pleasure to just take the gun for a walk this time of year.

Dean Romig 10-29-2018 10:34 PM

Sophie will never forgive you, that's for sure. Next time out, she'll wonder if it's worth pointing them for you...:whistle:

allen newell 10-30-2018 06:05 AM

You should have seen the look she gave me....

Robert Rambler 10-30-2018 02:18 PM

Yea, I've gotten that "Stink Eye" look already!
Usually because I missed. LOL :rotf:

Kenny Graft 11-01-2018 06:40 AM

Ya...Im getting soft too. Don't hunt squirrels anymore, have not killed a white tail in years although I still may go out late season after I return from Kansas? No problem with shooting birds yet, I just get so much enjoyment hunting with my SXS guns, the dog work and my wife makes the birds into tasty heathy meals! Like ster-fry pheasant or her cast iron pot pie is to die for. SXS Ohio

Russell E. Cleary 11-02-2018 10:12 AM

Allen:

It could be something a little more prosaic that is going on and you just balked at harvesting what you did not intend to eat.

I am of such mind lately when I take a rifle into the woods in Deer season. I do still revel in the thought that at any moment I could encounter a magnificent Whitetail Deer and have the opportunity to take a shot. For me that is worth the price of admission. But, am no longer sure that I will “force the moment to its crisis”.

Last week I got back from a super good time bird hunting up-country. On one of the mornings a Whitetail buck bounded out of a berry patch to our right. He was one of those majestic high-country Ridge Runners, on his home ground.

I may be going back up for more bird hunting, but I intend to take a couple of rifles too. I just cannot get the graphic of that animal, a stately creature bigger and wilier than I am, out of my thoughts.

No, Allen, not soft; it's probably just being a sportsman.

Reggie Bishop 11-02-2018 12:11 PM

If I ever stumble across another covey of wild quail here in TN I probably won't get a shot off because of shock! They are rare in these parts.