Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   LC Smith 8 gauge up for auction (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29258)

Milton C Starr 02-03-2020 02:23 PM

LC Smith 8 gauge up for auction

I love seeing American 8 gauges and you rarely see these pop up .
Wish I could find a picture of a LC Smith , Lefever and Parker 8 gauge next to each other .

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...14283#topoflot

Bill Murphy 02-03-2020 05:27 PM

They are all really big. You will need a big checkbook for any of them.

Milton C Starr 02-03-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 292412)
They are all really big. You will need a big checkbook for any of them.

How do they come up with the estimated price ? I thought it would be more than 2500-3500 , even if it sells for a bit more ive never seen a hammerless Parker 8 ga go that low .

Theres a few 8 ga Parker hammerless guns on GI but two of them are approaching the cost of a WR droplock 8 ga .

I seen a auction a few years ago for another LC Smith 8 ga I think it sold for under 4k . Do they not bring the cost of a Parkers ? I had thought they would go for more since so few were made . Then again a American 8 ga is a niche in a already niche market .

charlie cleveland 02-03-2020 06:14 PM

back in 1958 my dad could have bought a lc smith 8 ga for 250 dollars but passed it up and bought a e grade lefever 10 ga...i still have this gun but i always wished he could have bought the 8 ga....a few years back maybe 10 years i could have bought a nice lc smith 8 ga but the fellow asked me 18000 for it...i was bidding on a 10 ga lefver about 5 years ago it got up to 1500 and i said im not gona pay that well the guy said it weighed a ton...the other fellow bid 5 dollars more than i did it turned out to be a 8 ga ...my heart done a flip... charlie

Milton C Starr 02-03-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 292420)
back in 1958 my dad could have bought a lc smith 8 ga for 250 dollars but passed it up and bought a e grade lefever 10 ga...i still have this gun but i always wished he could have bought the 8 ga....a few years back maybe 10 years i could have bought a nice lc smith 8 ga but the fellow asked me 18000 for it...i was bidding on a 10 ga lefver about 5 years ago it got up to 1500 and i said im not gona pay that well the guy said it weighed a ton...the other fellow bid 5 dollars more than i did it turned out to be a 8 ga ...my heart done a flip... charlie

Charlie I had the money back in November to buy a 8 gauge lifter but I decided not to for some reason . Now im kicking myself for not getting it .

Charlie that reminds me of a post I seen on another site a family was selling a LC Smith 8 gauge at auction , come to find out it was a 12 gauge .

Dennis E. Jones 02-10-2020 12:09 PM

With a 26 percent buyers fee, the 3 percent merchants fee plus any sale tax it's going to be EXPENSIVE. The auction company's guarantee is so vague that if you got a lemon you would have to make lemonade and say "how sweet it is".

Ken Descovich 02-10-2020 10:35 PM

So if this is truly an 8 ga this is number 47.

Milton C Starr 02-11-2020 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones (Post 293038)
With a 26 percent buyers fee, the 3 percent merchants fee plus any sale tax it's going to be EXPENSIVE. The auction company's guarantee is so vague that if you got a lemon you would have to make lemonade and say "how sweet it is".

I cant exactly remember but I seen a auction where it was either a Lefever or LC Smith 8 gauge sold for 40k but I think it was one of the higher graded ones . What would make such a gun a lemon ? Probably the most expensive fix on a vintage double would be unsafe wall thickness ?

Milton C Starr 02-11-2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Descovich (Post 293098)
So if this is truly an 8 ga this is number 47.

Are the other 46 that well documented or currently known ?

Dean Romig 02-11-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 292413)
How do they come up with the estimated price ? I thought it would be more than 2500-3500 , even if it sells for a bit more ive never seen a hammerless Parker 8 ga go that low.

One of the main jobs of any auction house is to entice folks to bid on an item so part of their strategy is to undervalue an item thus causing folks to think “Holy ****! now’s my chance to get one of these for way less than market price!”... and the bidding begins. Before long the item reaches market price.