Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   new barrel set maker? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8295)

Blaine P. Biedermann 10-11-2012 02:17 PM

new barrel set maker?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to remember the name of the outfit, I think they're in Texas, who makes replacement or extra barrel sets for Parker Guns. Seems to me that they've advertised in PP but I can't find the advert. Anybody have it on the tips of they're keyboards?

My "new" 20g VH/E is in nice, original 1929 condition, but is choked M & F. That might be fine for some situations, but not real great as a grouse gun. So, I want to get a set of "fake" barrels that can be bored with more open chokes for use in the grouse & woodcock covert.

BP Biedermann

Dean Romig 10-11-2012 02:53 PM

Why not save yourself some money and simply use spreader loads in situations requiring more open patterns?

Blaine P. Biedermann 10-11-2012 03:59 PM

That might work (although I haven't yet patterned it with spreaders), but i'm a big bismuth fan. I liked the Bismuth "No-tox" company when they were in business, and when the old man died I bought a life-time supply of the commercial loads and what bulk I could afford. So,...

Mark Ouellette 10-11-2012 05:20 PM

Blaine,

Simmons tried to make Parker replacement barrels but could not finish the project. I do not know of any business that is currently producing replacement barrels for Parkers. Brad Bachelder recently finished making a set for a PGCA member.

Alternatively, you could post in the members only subforum for wanted to buy an original barrel set for your frame size.

Blaine P. Biedermann 10-11-2012 05:37 PM

Simmons sounds familiar, were they listed in PP in the last couple years? And a Texas firm? Do you know of anyone who had direct contact with them??

Robin Lewis 10-11-2012 06:24 PM

Look at page 28 in the Spring 2011 (Vol 18 - issue 1) Parker Pages; its cover is blue with a color drawing of a hunting scene in the center. The blue stands out, may be easier to find in your stack that way . I think that may be what you are looking for.

Blaine P. Biedermann 10-11-2012 07:02 PM

I

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks very much.

Bill Murphy 10-12-2012 07:59 PM

Don't get your hopes up.

calvin humburg 10-15-2012 07:37 PM

Larry DelGrego can open them up from the breach with the old Parker tools I believe??? Around a 170$ a barrel. I would think he would know how to do it correctly???

I'm just a Parker idiot so my comment is just to give something to chew on.

Blaine P. Biedermann 10-16-2012 09:39 AM

Yeah, I've definitely thought about that, but since it's an all original gun...... Guess I'm squeemish. On, the other hand, am I planning on selling it to a collector anytime soon? No. So, that's what I think I'm going to do. I've got a 12g VHE for bigger birds.