Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Snipe on the Grill (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30175)

John Davis 05-10-2020 06:44 AM

Snipe on the Grill

We've been trying to clean out the freezer during our shelter in place time. Got out a bag of birds the other day thinking they were dove, but when they thawed out I discovered they were snipe breast. I let them sit in Zesty Italian Dressing for about 6 or 8 hours and then wrapped each breast with half a strip of beacon anchored with a toothpick. Put the gas grill on low and placed them breast bone down directly on the grate. Lowered the top and let them cook for about 5 mins. at around 375 degrees. Turned them over with the meat side down, closed the lid and let them cook for about 3 more minutes. Very easy and very tasty. If they had been doves, I would have cooked them the same way but added a minute or two cooking time.

Dean Romig 05-10-2020 07:11 AM

I too, sometimes freeze wild game without marking the package with what it is and when taken. At the time I just figure “Oh I’ll know what it is...” but I rarely do.

Bob Kimble 05-10-2020 07:20 AM

Mystery meat!

John Davis 05-10-2020 08:28 AM

Pot luck

Harold Lee Pickens 05-10-2020 09:06 AM

As a tangent, I now freeze all my wild game in vacumn sealed bags. They stay freezer burn free for a much longer time. I usually fillet my birds, so I can put breasts in one bag and legs in another. Legs from grouse, pheasant, turkey are usually braised until the meat is falling off the bone, then shredded for use in soups, casseroles, etc.
I even take the vacuum sealer on hunting trips with me.
John, that is my favorite recipie for doves, woodcock also.

Mills Morrison 05-10-2020 07:32 PM

We had our club fix woodcock a few months ago and it was the best wild game I have ever had. Looking forward to getting more next season

Stan Hillis 07-30-2020 09:58 PM

I freeze all my game birds in water. It keeps most of the oxygen away from the meat and prevents freezer-burn for a long time. I've eaten birds three years old that were as good as 6 mos. old, kept this way.

My fave way of doing bird breasts, salted and peppered, is to simmer them slowly in olive oil until just barely browned. Remove them and replace with sliced green peppers, 'shrooms, and onion if you like it. Put breasts back in once the veggies are mostly cooked, and add some Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, and simmer a little longer. Then, the coup de grace ........ add a cup of white wine (of the Blue Nun genre), cover, and simmer a few more minutes.

Serve over rice, if you really need more carbs. I don't, and have the breasts and veggies as cooked. I really don't know how much of that I can eat at a sitting, though I have knocked back 17 dove breasts at one meal without really overdoing it.

SRH