Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Reccomendations for birdhunting/vintage shotgunning books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14287)

Bill Holcombe 09-02-2014 11:15 PM

Reccomendations for birdhunting/vintage shotgunning books

Just looking for some reccomendations for some good reads.

Already have parker story, old reliable, Best Guns, Shotguns and Shooting, Americas Best Shotgun, 2 colonel askins books, and looking at getting New England Grouse Shooting.

Any other good reccomendations out there?

chris dawe 09-03-2014 07:19 AM

King,for the birdhunter in you I would heartily recommend Jenny Willow,and any of Ted Lundrigans work ...absolutely fantastic.

Dean Romig 09-03-2014 09:13 AM

Anything by George Bird Evans, Burton Spiller, H.P. Sheldon - I highly endorse "Fun With Gamebirds" by Fred Everett, "That's Ruff" by George King.... the list goes on and on.

Mills Morrison 09-03-2014 09:38 AM

Archibald Rutledge. Jim Casada put together several volumes of Rutledge's work which focuses on hunting which are good. Havilah Babcock. Bill Tapply is good too. Like Dean says, the list goes on and on

Mills Morrison 09-03-2014 09:40 AM

The Road to Tinkhamtown by Corey Ford is a must read for anyone interested in bird hunting stories. You can find find it and read it online.

Dean Romig 09-03-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 146488)
The Road to Tinkhamtown by Corey Ford is a must read for anyone interested in bird hunting stories. You can find find it and read it online.

The twelve minute video I posted a couple of weeks ago is the full-length "Road to Tinkhamtown" but it's nice to have a hard copy close by for instant access.

Harry Collins 09-04-2014 07:50 AM

Nash Buckingham is one of my all time favorites.

Rick Losey 09-04-2014 08:57 AM

At one time, I atempted to maintain an inventory of the titles in the library.

It became too much to keep up

Some of George Bird Evans' titles are hard to find (many were only printed as a thousand copies or less) start with his "Upland Shooting Life". One of the best opening lines ever - "Tonight life is as I would have it"

Can't disagree with any of the suggestions above. If John Alden Knight has not been mentioned find a copy of his two titles on Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock.

Dean Romig 09-04-2014 09:50 AM

Frank Woolner's "Grouse and Grouse Hunting" and his "Timberdoodle!" are both classics.

"The Upland Gunner's Book, An Anthology" edited by George Bird Evans is an excellent compilation of upland hunting stories by several noted authors.

"Of Grouse and Things, The Best of The Drummer, 1975 - 1984" edited by Mark C. Dilts is another very good compilation of upland hunting stories, again by several exceptional authors. I have Tap Tapply's copy inscribed by Mark Dilts to Tap saying, "H.G. Tapply - In appreciation for all the pleasure your writing has given me through the years. I hope you enjoy reading this book, especially the stories Bill has written for us... As with you, we think he's kinda special ~ Best Wishes, mark C. Dilts"

Bill Holcombe 09-04-2014 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have tracked down these so far to start:

Hunting and Home in the Southern Heartland: The Best of Archibald Rutledge

Upland Autumn: Birds, Dogs, and Shotgun Shells
Tapply, William G.

Tales of Quails 'n Such
Babcock, Havilah

The Best of Nash Buckingham
Nash Buckingham