Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   DHE Ejector Problem (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19318)

allen newell 06-27-2016 10:32 AM

DHE Ejector Problem

I have been shooting trap lately with my 31 inch barreled Parker DHE. (and quite well I might add!). I've only been shooting it on trap using the right barrel/front trigger) On the second to last outing I noticed that the right ejector was not re-cocking. The left barrel ejector continues to cock fine.

I have re-set or re-cocked the right ejector but the minute I out the forend back on the barrel, it uncocks.

I'll probably end up taking it to Dan Cullity who is local to me but would appreciate any insights from our more experienced members on what's going on. Something broken with the cocking mechanism?

Thanks in advance

Bruce Day 06-27-2016 02:44 PM

Allan, as a first step run cleaner through the action, take out the ejector mechanism in the forend and clean it, and make sure the rod is sliding smoothly through the barrel lug. Most problems are caused by crud and dried oil. I think the problem is crud in the forend mechanism, although it may be excessive wear. When you look at the sears you will be able to tell.

If the symptom persists you may at least be able to identify where it is. Taking the action off the stock is not too difficult if you need to go to that step.

Paweł Janusz 06-28-2016 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by allen newell (Post 197792)
I have been shooting trap lately with my 31 inch barreled Parker DHE. (and quite well I might add!). I've only been shooting it on trap using the right barrel/front trigger) On the second to last outing I noticed that the right ejector was not re-cocking. The left barrel ejector continues to cock fine.

I have re-set or re-cocked the right ejector but the minute I out the forend back on the barrel, it uncocks.

I'll probably end up taking it to Dan Cullity who is local to me but would appreciate any insights from our more experienced members on what's going on. Something broken with the cocking mechanism?

Thanks in advance

Be happy to help

Doug Turnbull 08-04-2016 02:34 PM

The forend/ejectors are not completely recocking and resetting and need to re adjusted, that is why they kick off when you take off the FE.

Doug

Paweł Janusz 08-04-2016 03:11 PM

And the parker mystery is solved

Bill Murphy 08-04-2016 04:43 PM

Welcome to Doug Turnbull.

Dean Romig 08-04-2016 07:54 PM

Yes, welcome Doug. I don't think I have ever seen you post here before. Thanks for contributing to the forum!

Paweł Janusz 08-04-2016 08:28 PM

Flying or fixing guns?

allen newell 08-05-2016 03:05 PM

I called Cullity to get and update on the fix to the ejectors. The DHE has been there a month and a half. Hasn't been touched so I'll just pick it up next week and send it out for repair. I spoke with Brad B. Today re status of two other Parkers he has of mine requiring restoration and Brad has offered to address the ejector problem. Thank all for your suggestions.

Dean Romig 08-05-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen newell (Post 199605)
I called Cullity to get and update on the fix to the ejectors. The DHE has been there a month and a half. Hasn't been touched so I'll just pick it up next week.

It's tough to keep all your clients happy when you're a one-man operation - each client has a different view of who's gun should be worked on next and when it should be completed.

I had a very positive meeting with Mike Orlen yesterday. I had telephoned him a couple of months ago asking if he could do some choke work for me while I waited. He told me he was pretty busy and if I could call him in a couple of months he would do it. I know he has a lot of work and lots of other clients have already sent their barrels to him. He has LOTS of barrels waiting for work.
I got to his shop yesterday morning before 9 and handed him the barrels and told him what I needed done. He said to come back in 45 minutes. I went for coffee and a bagel and drove around Amherst for a bit and got back to his shop in about 50 minutes. He met me at the door with my barrels in hand - work completed. It was all very positive.

allen newell 08-05-2016 03:27 PM

Dean, Cullity is not a one man operation. I think they're just very busy. Dan has done excellent work for me in the past and on quick turnaround. I think that right now he's busy v with his engraving work which is far more lucrative and Ryan, his son gets handed to do all the other general gunsmithing work.

Dean Romig 08-05-2016 03:32 PM

I didn't know his son worked with him.

Dan does phenomenal engraving and metal restoration work. I've witnessed it on a badly rust-pitted AAHE frame... his work is so perfect you just can't tell it from the original.

allen newell 08-05-2016 03:45 PM

Dan, I believe would tell you that engraving is his first love. But he is also an excellent all around gunsmith. When I spoke with Ryan last week, Dan was wrapped up with engraving projects and Ryan was leaving for a vacation in Iceland. So all the general gunsmithing work is on hold. But you should see the deck guns that Dan has rebuilt/restored that are fully functional. Exceptional work.

Paweł Janusz 08-05-2016 06:01 PM

Sound to me like you have been found by bunch of great sales man's but not a craftsman yet.

Dean Romig 08-05-2016 11:06 PM

Mr. Pawel Janusz -

We have seen and handled fine examples of the superior work of craftsmen mentioned and recommended on this forum by both members and non-members alike. It is not a practice on this site to criticize publicly the work of any craftsman that may not have lived up to our expectations. That is left to private communication - not on this forum.

It does little good to your business to denigrate the work of others in the very same trade that you make your living at.... it is also how they make their living.

You would better serve your own interests by buying a table or booth at some of the events we all attend so that we may examine your products and decide for ourselves.

Thanks for participating on this forum. We would all like to see examples of work you have done on Parker shotguns.

Paweł Janusz 08-06-2016 12:27 AM

I'm not criticized, where I come from we say as it is, I work on guns for 30 years and not only guns, fixing, redesigning, restoring all kind of things and I'm still learning and for all this year's I seen enough to say as is instead sugarcoat because it's great for bussines, so far there is no quality in this great country because that it's great for business. Maybe it's time to start recognizing causes of it and instead great smile and diplomacy learn to: SAY AS IS!

Daryl Corona 08-06-2016 07:55 AM

:banghead:

Paweł Janusz 08-06-2016 08:37 AM

Look like the right reactiob. Lol

Paweł Janusz 08-06-2016 08:47 AM

You can see pictures of my work on albums of my profile and as well my Web that require me to be modified to be simplified. I understand what you saying but I do what I do because of my passion for fine skilled craftsmanship and love of fine firearms and In my case business/money is never going to disturb it or influence it.

allen newell 08-06-2016 09:39 AM

Hello Pawel, I looked at the pictures of your work and they look impressive. I think it would be most helpful and for the benefit of those PGCA Members who may not be familiar with your work, if you would be kind enough to post more on your background and experience. Just a suggestion.

Paweł Janusz 08-06-2016 09:55 AM

Thank you sir, I will make a note to my self to find time tonight and review/update my profile to provide that.

Paweł Janusz 08-07-2016 09:04 AM

I reviewed my profile and everything needed is there, I have to say there is not much room for description or I didn't find the right place. For more details contact me

allen newell 09-09-2016 03:04 PM

Dan Cullity called me today. The problem is with the barrel hook. It's come loose and will need to be soldered back on. Which may also mean that due to the heat involved in making the repair that the barrels will probably have to be re-finished.

Dean Romig 09-09-2016 03:33 PM

The "barrel hook" had come loose???
I've never heard of that happening.
Are you sure he didn't say the forend lug had come loose? That wouldn't surprise me.

I know Dan is capable of this kind of work but will he do it or suggest you send it to a 'barrel man"?

allen newell 09-09-2016 03:38 PM

No, my error Dean, he did say it was the forend lug

Brian Dudley 09-09-2016 05:03 PM

The barrels do not need to be refinished when soldering back in a forend loop. If a clean job is done about it.

allen newell 09-09-2016 05:34 PM

Dan did say that was likely but added the caveat that in the event the heating caused an issue with the barrel finish, they'd take care of that. I have every confidence that Dan knows what he's doing.

Dean Romig 09-09-2016 05:39 PM

Have you ever seen the quality of that man's blueing?... Mind-blowing perfection!

allen newell 09-09-2016 05:55 PM

His engraving is out of this world. This is a craftsman who builds everything from handguns to cannons.

Dean Romig 09-09-2016 07:02 PM

How about the first ever American automatic cannon he's restoring right now?????

allen newell 09-09-2016 07:30 PM

I know he's restoring two Naval cannons

allen newell 09-10-2016 09:34 AM

He just finished engraving a Colt. I may see it this week and if Dan will allow me to take pics of it, I'll post.

Dean Romig 09-10-2016 12:22 PM

I was at the Augusta gun show last month any there was a beautiful Colt for sale there that he had refinished and engraved. I have a picture of it at home.

He started engraving for Colt when he was in high school.

allen newell 09-12-2016 05:10 PM

Dean, picked up me DHE today. Dan's work is excellent. While in the shop Dan showed me the single action Colt revolver that he has engraved for a customer. Absolute gorgeous!

Dean Romig 09-12-2016 09:09 PM

Allen, Dan showed what I believe to be the same Colt to Robin and me while we were at his shop a few weeks ago. Incredible artistry!... and perfect bluing!

allen newell 09-12-2016 09:33 PM

You should have called me, I'm only six miles from Dan's shop. Would've treated you and Kathy to my son in laws seafood restaurant. Next time you're in the area, call me. By the way, there wasn't a spot on that Colt that was not engraved. Many hours of work. I asked Dan that with all the heat being applied to resolder the lug back on, (upwards of 800 degrees). Dan said he has a special jig that holds the barrels together to prevent them from coming apart while he's soldering the lug back on. They touched up the bluing and it looks brand new. Test fired. Ejectors work fine. Gun is back in the safe and I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

Dean Romig 09-12-2016 09:36 PM

Kathy rarely goes on my gun-related jaunts but I'm sure she would take you up on your generous offer sometime when we may be in the area again.