Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Parkers and Timberluxe.. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24869)

Jerry VanHorn 08-03-2018 05:05 PM

Parkers and Timberluxe..

For the past few months I have been attempting some of my own work. Wood refinishing is usually on the list. I've tried different things..but using a modern formula to get a vintage finish never made sense. I met Brian Board 20 years ago at Tulsa. He stocked a Parker 16 for me and worked on other projects since..I knew that in the mid-80s he started with Herschel Chadick on high grade projects..and then with Don Criswell stocking Grand American 21s. So... I had to try his formula..I've done 3 stocks..and Timberluxe is perfect for a correct finish on Parkers. His combination of finish and stain..both right from the container..is foolproof if you follow the instructions.Brian is a true craftsman..and his work..and Timberluxe can't be faulted..

Dean Romig 08-03-2018 06:10 PM

Haven't tried it yet Jerry but I hear all good things about the stuff - I've seen his work though and it is top notch in every way!

Tom Flanigan 08-04-2018 08:31 AM

I like Timberlux. I don't use it to fill the pores using the mud process though. This takes a lot of finish and Timberlux is too expensive for this. I use Tung oil which works well and then finish up with Timberlux when the pores are filled. I know of no advantage of using Timberlux for pore filling vs. the much cheaper Tung oil.

Jerry VanHorn 08-04-2018 08:56 AM

Forgot about this...When my friend told me about Timberluxe..I went on YouTube and watched the videos..Tells you everything about the product and application...

Rick Riddell 08-04-2018 07:43 PM

I love it, it gave me a nice flat finish, pores are still there but that’s what I was looking for. Best part I have had no experience doing any wood finishing.

Jerry VanHorn 08-12-2018 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a spare VH "O" frame stock that I stripped and finished with Timberluxe..next to an original 1921 VH 16 stock.One thing about Timberluxe...the finish is started with about 3 coats of the formula..THEN..the walnut stain is added ..a little..or more..depends on what you want..Then 3-4 final coats..

Dean Romig 08-12-2018 08:29 AM

I love Bertram boats!

Which stock is the original?

Jerry VanHorn 08-12-2018 09:00 AM

Dean..Merger Magic is a '72 Bertram that is owned by a friend. It is a full restoration..and amazing..if you like boats..The "merger" part is how he affords it..His Captain is also a friend..and captains his other boat too...A tuna boat.. up in your neck of the woods. I didn't intentionally leave out the.."which is original"..but you make a good point..Lets see what the consensus from the Forum is.."Which is Timberluxe " ?..

Brian Dudley 08-12-2018 09:13 AM

Based on the surface marking on the lower stock, I would vote that one as the original. The datker shade of the upper looks like it could have been the Timberluxe stain (which is a great product).

Mark Ray 08-12-2018 12:51 PM

Top original, bottom TL, based on tha i believe you would have addressed the round stain when adding finish