Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Skeet Choke (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5591)

David Long 11-14-2011 08:47 PM

Skeet Choke

What is the Skeet choke good for other than skeet shooting what about hunting Thanks David

Rich Anderson 11-14-2011 08:55 PM

All my upland bird hunting is done over a pointing dog and I use skeet choked guns 95% of the time. These are 16, 20, & 28. No 12's for me. Back in the day befor I had Parkers and hunted ducks I'd shoot a lot of Mallards and Woodies in flooded timber with a Remington 1100 20ga with a skeet barrel.

Dean Romig 11-14-2011 10:13 PM

Skeet chokes are good for any hunting where the birds are close enough, including ducks and geese over decoys.

Pete Lester 11-15-2011 05:00 AM

If your talking about a Parker Skeet gun marked "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out" you have to remember nothing about a Parker is standard. Scott K. had a 12ga VHE Skeet gun that had a lot of constriction in both barrels and patterned full and full. You have to pattern every gun of any brand at 40 yards to figure out what they are really choked regardless of markings. As far as a Skeet choke it also depends on the gauge. A 12ga should be throwing a great pattern between 20 and 30 yards and would work fine out to 35 yds + or -.

Remember generally larger shot sizes will pattern tighter than small shot through the same choke. So put it on paper with the load you want to use for the game hunted and you'll know for sure.

Mark Ouellette 11-15-2011 07:20 AM

Not a Parker but in a previous life I shot and ducks out to 40 yards with Hevi Steel (no longer available) with a Benelli M-2. As J.B. stated above, bigger shot patterns tighter than small shot through the same choke. The same is true for hardness of shot.

I shoot Nice Shot #2 through .030" in Parker 10 gauges and pit down Canada Geese at 60+ yards. Sometimes I put down more than one :whistle:

Nice Shot is 3 times as hard as hardened lead shot. ITX is 10 times as hard as lead and should be magic through a skeet choke.

Now, let's talk about choke which is a measure of the performance of a load through a certain barrel constriction. In a modern 12 gauge Skeet "choke" is the result of factory target load shot through a barrel constriction of .005". This is of course an average since each load will pattern slightly (or in some cases greatly) different through each individual barrel with the same constriction.

calvin humburg 11-15-2011 07:41 AM

Richard will your roosters stay siting while pointed?

Don Kaas 11-15-2011 08:41 AM

Over pointing dogs, a "skeet" choked double is the weapon of choice IMHO. Ditto for woodcock and grouse in thick cover with any dog. They are quite useful over decoys for waterfowl especially for woodies and teal. I choke all my small gauge upland quail/woodcock guns .005/.012 the equivalent of "skeet 1 and skeet 2". I have only had one Parker skeet choked gun, a VHE 16g but I have had a number of Winchester Model 21 Skeets and have 2 now in 20 and 12. The 12 gauge 28" M21 Skeet I have is one useful, very versatile weapon with its patented WS-1 choke and its mate the WS-2 (which patterns much like a Winchester modified)

Ed Blake 11-15-2011 08:48 AM

I'm reading Bob Brister's book and it seems his favorite all around choke was IC. All of my guns have original chokes, which are tight, but I can't bring myself to open them up.

Bill Murphy 11-15-2011 10:14 AM

Ed, you're the man. I, also, don't like opening chokes. For fifty years, whenever I need a more open choke, I buy a new gun. It has always worked for me.

Austin W Hogan 11-15-2011 10:18 AM

Choke

My favorite raised comb hammer gun was fitted with a conventional VH M&F barrel set. I shot as good or better rounds of skeet, five stand and sporting with it as I did with my IC & IC VH which fit equally well. Don't let full choke scare you - center the pattern and it is irrelevant.

Best, Austin