Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   North woods Maine (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19963)

MARK KIRCHER 10-10-2016 08:05 AM

North woods Maine

1 Attachment(s)
I am just back from a weeked hunt - 7 members of the Vanderbilt club went north again this year after grouse and woodcock. Great time and accomodations at Chandler lakes camp.

Challenging hunting as all leaves were still up - we hit the Peak - and we had 78 degrees weather to hunt in. no wind - very hard on the dogs - extremely poor scenting conditions.

We all scratched a few birds spent some time fishing too. Highly recommended site for all.

I carried my trusted 20 gauge DH - 0 frame - 28inch. Took a nice grouse and a few woodcock.

the season begins ........

edgarspencer 10-10-2016 08:40 AM

What a difference a couple days make. It's 36 this morning with a steady 18mph wind out of the NNW.

Stephen Hodges 10-10-2016 08:58 AM

Nice hunt Mark. Edgar is right, a day or two can make a huge difference. Here in central NH there have been no flight birds in my covers. But it has been warm. This morning is 34 and as Edgar says, windy. Hope it brings some birds south. :):)

Dean Romig 10-10-2016 09:19 AM

Just came down from Vt last night. Weekend weather was very unsettled. First woodcock of the season gave me a station 8 low house shot... which I missed cleanly. Don't have any idea if it was a local bird or a flight bird but they should be coming down soon. Full moon is next week... that may help.

I'm really glad I didn't connect with that bird - I've turned those presentations into "diesel smoke" at the Skeet field.....

MARK KIRCHER 10-10-2016 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont think we were into flight birds - very spread out and all in the lowest areas.

We woke up yesterday to a 30 degree temp drop - a perfect day for hunting - our only consolation was it was Sunday - no hunts in Maine.

My shots were all 20 yards + on woodcock. The grouse shot was too close for my satisfaction - but in that thick cover ........ options are limited and it was the last day and.......I talked myself into it

We'll be back !

Here is a family we saw on way in -

Mills Morrison 10-18-2016 11:26 AM

Great photos, Mark!

MARK KIRCHER 10-18-2016 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mills -

We did not shoot much but the walk was Exceptional none- the- less!

Dean Romig 10-18-2016 11:43 AM

Sometimes a nice Parker gives us a chance to take a nice enjoyable walk in the woods.

Russell E. Cleary 11-09-2016 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have stayed at Chandler Lake Camps, as well; and returned there last week for three days of guided hunting. I second Mark's positive assessment of the venue, and specifically cite the congenial hosts; top-notch guide and dogs; and good Ruffed Grouse action. (A few Woodcock were put up and shot "at", too.)

As for the Grunden's fishing gear I am wearing: admittedly eccentric, but for me "crude-but-effective" deep-woods brush pants; serving nicely when sliding over rain-soaked, moss covered logs.

The gun in the photo is a restored 1907 16 gauge VH; 26 inch barrels; 0-framed; cylinder right/ modified left (consistent with factory letter) -- my entry in the "ideal Grouse Gun" competition.

Phil Yearout 11-09-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 203715)
Sometimes a nice Parker gives us a chance to take a nice enjoyable walk in the woods..

John Feinstein's book said golf is "a good walk spoiled" (quote attributed to Mark Twain). I guess carrying a nice Parker (or Fox, or Smith, or Lefever, or Ithaca, or...) could be called "a good walk enhanced" eh?