Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Problem loading 10 gauge in my Scott (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23970)

Jonathan Larson 04-15-2018 01:41 AM

Problem loading 10 gauge in my Scott

I just got all my loading supplies together for the 10 ga W&C Scott. The hulls are brand new Remingtons. The gun won't close by about 1/8th inch. The hulls are shorter then the chamber based on my gauge and they slip in and out of the chambers freely. I checked the firing pins and the primers are flush. I was thinking that it perhaps could be that the rims were too thick, so I sacrificed a hull and sanded the head down a little... no help. Any ideas guys? I've not had this issue with my 12's

Ed Blake 04-15-2018 08:12 AM

It sounds like the brass needs resizing. My MEC has the collet resizer. What are you loading on? Also, my Scott has “sticky” chambers, for lack of a better word. Try another hull brand.

Craig Larter 04-15-2018 08:16 AM

The rims on Remington hulls are larger than federal. Check the rim dimension of the Scott compared to the hull rim dimension.

Garry L Gordon 04-15-2018 08:56 AM

Check other shells for fit as suggested. I have a Scottish hammer gun that just didn't have enough head space to accommodate any shells I tried. I had Brad Bachelder increase the head space...and have lived happily ever after since. This was an old gun, BTW. I would guess your Scott has a year or two on it also. The shells of the time fit no doubt.

Richard Flanders 04-15-2018 11:11 AM

Try putting a shell in backwards to see if the rim recesses are too small. That seems a not too uncommon issue. If a rim won't nest into the recess you'll have to either ream the recesses or maybe try different hulls as someone else suggested. I have a DH12 that sticks like hell using AA hulls, which are universally out of round, but loves the green Remington STS hulls or any old paper hulls, which are all nice and round and never jam it shut.

charlie cleveland 04-15-2018 11:18 AM

are you cutting new hulls to proper chamber length of your gun..just a thought ...charlie

Milt Fitterman 04-15-2018 02:00 PM

I have had a similar problem in a German 16 and a Lindner Daly 10g. I solved both by adjusting the sizing ring on one and the sizing collet on the other. they were just too big for the tight chambers and would not go all the way in. If I got it in, then opening the gun was very difficult and had to force the hulls out from the muzzle.

Pete Lester 04-15-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Larson (Post 241011)
I just got all my loading supplies together for the 10 ga W&C Scott. The hulls are brand new Remingtons. The gun won't close by about 1/8th inch. The hulls are shorter then the chamber based on my gauge and they slip in and out of the chambers freely. I checked the firing pins and the primers are flush. I was thinking that it perhaps could be that the rims were too thick, so I sacrificed a hull and sanded the head down a little... no help. Any ideas guys? I've not had this issue with my 12's

Today's Remington 10 ga hulls have steel heads (unlike Federal 10ga hulls that use brass). The steel heads may have some memory and expand a little after resizing. If you can adjust your resizer to squeeze the head even smaller I would try that. If you are using a MEC reloader with a collet resizing ring replace it, the wear over time. Federal hulls with their brass heads give the least amount of trouble in guns with tight chambers but I understand they can be hard to find.

scott kittredge 04-15-2018 07:51 PM

I have a buddy of mine that had a W C Scott, his problem was head space.
good luck they are a nice gun.

CraigThompson 04-15-2018 09:01 PM

I’ve been having kinda similar issues with my loads in some guns and a lot of times it depends on what I was loading be it bird shot or Buckshot or slugs . I’m kinda thinking about getting a Sizemaster 10 gauge and parting ways with my 600JR although I could just buy a MEC Supersizer but that adds another step .