Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Steel Shells Recommendation? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22524)

Tom Roller 10-24-2017 12:51 PM

Steel Shells Recommendation?

I was curious if anyone could recommend any over-the-counter waterfowl steel for repros?

Recently I tried some 2.75" Kent Fasteel in their lowest offering and they ust flat out tore me up. Granted that is part of the game with a steel butt plate and a straight stock.

I dont shoot much steel but was curious if anyone had any recommendations for something that is a hair kinder in 2.75" (or 3)?

Eric Eis 10-24-2017 02:30 PM

Might check with RST to see if they have a steel shot load. Those would be easier on your shoulder.

Rick Losey 10-24-2017 03:05 PM

Since the old classic doubles are not safe with steel

I would be surprised if anyone loaded them

You may try one of the British makers, like gamebore. They may make something for modern side by sides

Reggie Bishop 10-24-2017 03:11 PM

RST has a non toxic load. If you can catch it in stock. I think its probably bismuth, not steel.

charlie cleveland 10-24-2017 08:09 PM

you can load your on ammo there is info for them...charlie

Mills Morrison 10-24-2017 09:56 PM

I don't think RST loads steel shot. They do load bismuth

Jerry Harlow 10-24-2017 09:59 PM

Elastic buttstock shell holder with five shells in it and slip on leather recoil pad. It will tame the gun and you'll have shells at your fingertips. Plus that great wood will be protected.

Eric Grims 10-26-2017 02:18 PM

I have a 12 gauge repro DHE 1 1/2 frame that I planned to use on waterfowl. Tried many steel, bismuth and tungsten loads etc. It really hammered me in all instances. Guess I may be a wus but I couldn't feel confident in a second shot. Now on ducks I only shoot RST Bismuth, some older ITX and some Classic doubles (while I still have some) with this gun.
I feel the gun is too light for the my old body and super charged high speed loads. Even with steel shot barrels and modern steel I really think the hot, fast and modern duck loads are wicked hard on these light guns.
That said after all my trials I should try my Gamekeeper pads as suggested above.
The end result so far though is that this gun did morph into a go to sporting clays gun for me.
Regards

charlie cleveland 10-26-2017 08:29 PM

i do what jerry said shell holder on gun and a limb saver slip on on the stock...this really helps.. i have a long range lc smith with modified barrels that i shoot steel shot in and have never hurt the gun...the limb saver really helps.... charlie

Mills Morrison 10-27-2017 03:11 PM

I have never been a big fan of steel shot, although I have heard it has improved since the time I stopped using it.

I use Bismuth, Nice Shot and Tungsten. They all kill the birds cleanly and I have not looked back. A little pricey, but not the most expensive part of duck hunting either