Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   POOR MAN'S MODEL 21-ALSO KNOWN AS THE CLUB (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22225)

Jerry Harlow 09-13-2017 04:43 PM

POOR MAN'S MODEL 21-ALSO KNOWN AS THE CLUB

1 Attachment(s)
I had the top Winchester Model 24 for about thirty years plus and had never shot it at game. The bottom one I got from Jim D. a month or more ago when I was looking for just a forend and ended up buying a whole kit gun, one that was disassembled with rusty barrels and missing four screws and a buttplate. It took me a while to figure out how a 24 goes back together. Rust blued the rusty barrels after striking them, found parts at Numrich, and put finish on the stock.

All I can say is this gun would be good if attacked, to use as a club. Bulky and very heavy is a good description. The top one was 7/12 (replaced stock) and the bottom one (original) is 8/2. Actions are stiff and awkward feeling. So I took them both hunting today for doves. Not many birds (raining) but the new to me gun shot well. What is funny about these is the top one is 1939 and the bottom one is about 1954 (they stopped keeping serial number records in 49) and both are marked M/F under the barrels. But both are really IC/F, one being .008 right and the other .012 right. Perfect chokes for doves.

Hardly fits "Other Fine Doubles" but a piece of Winchester and American History made in America for the bottom of the market.

Who owns one of these? I imagine a 20 would be the best of the lot.

Bill Murphy 09-13-2017 05:09 PM

When I was a pup, I had a minty 26" 20 gauge #26,497, oddly bored Cylinder and Modified. It is a rare boring, only made that way prewar, and I have never seen one like it. It was a great gun, but not the correct medicine for Pennsylvania wild pheasants. I would like to track it down, however.

Mark Landskov 09-13-2017 05:23 PM

Ten years ago, I owned a 20 gauge Model 24 (27424) that was in 'near minty' condition. It was not as svelte as my RBL or Trojan, but, I wish I still had it.

Steve Huffman 09-13-2017 06:10 PM

I have 12 and a 20 like em both I can pull the trigger on almost anything .

Bill Zachow 09-13-2017 06:22 PM

The 24 was basically two model 37s put together and actually more than twice as ugly. Owned one about 20 years ago and had to sell it because I could not stand to look at it. Without a doubt, the model 24 was the ugliest pre 64 Winchester, hands down.

James L. Martin 09-13-2017 06:25 PM

I had one in 16ga, shot it good , just liked other guns more so I sold it.

Mark Landskov 09-13-2017 06:40 PM

One thing I notice on many lower tier doubles, is the triggers. They look like two over-ripe bananas hanging there:rotf:. Cost and ease of manufacturing obviously took precedence over appearance!

:whistle:

charlie cleveland 09-13-2017 06:49 PM

for the money a 24 would be hard to beat and a rugged gun they are...charlie

Jerry Harlow 09-13-2017 09:12 PM

They are really ugly with a super wide foreend. Little drop in the stock on the original one. The stock is ill-fitting, high everywhere and the one I refinished had a top lever dragging the proud wood, so after dragging against my newly refinished wood, I put it away after killing five out of nine with it. Really crude finish with no mating wood to receiver. But it is walnut with no checkering.

I rust blued the circa 1954 gun, but today I noticed what I believe to be original hot bluing on the entire 1939 gun (1st year they were made). I'm guessing they used a different solder by then and hot bluing was the economical way to make a gun.

Scott Janowski 09-13-2017 10:46 PM

There must have been a huge profit in the model 24, I can not believe John Olin would have would have made it otherwise.