Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Love or Hate? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28007)

David Noble 08-24-2019 05:07 PM

Love or Hate?

8 Attachment(s)
I’ve given up on finding a Parker 20 hammer gun so I couldn’t pass this up. Picked it up at the Ft. Worth gun show today.
Belgium 20ga hammer gun. 26 inch fine damascus barrels with what appears to be 2 3/4 chambers. I’ll have to check that and the choke constriction later.
Now....I’d like to hear some honest opinions, do you hate this gun or kind of like it. I paid $700.00 for it so be sure to factor that in. I have tough skin so don’t be afraid to voice negative opinions.

Dave Noreen 08-24-2019 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If the handling dynamics are all right, what is not to like.

Smacks of Lou Smith's Fox hunting gun --

Attachment 75526

Attachment 75527

Dean Romig 08-24-2019 05:17 PM

I don’t hate it but I would wish the stock hadn’t been opened like that.
How does it balance now... a little barrel heavy maybe?

I’ve seen that lion head ball grip carving before somewhere. Maybe there’s another one like it out there somewhere.

I kinda like it.

David Noble 08-24-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 279899)
”... I would wish the stock hadn’t been opened like that.
How does it balance now... a little barrel heavy maybe?

I thought the same about the cut out. I guess I finally convinced myself it added to the absurdity. :rotf:
It is a little barrel heavy, balances about 1 inch into the fore end.

Gerald McPherson 08-24-2019 06:04 PM

A quart of Bondo will fix that large crack and will help with the balance, also. Nice gun for sure.

Austin J Hawthorne Jr. 08-24-2019 07:05 PM

It's a head turner for sure. If you bought it to use, and not just as a conversation piece, I would want a reputable gunsmith to check it out. That being said....I think it is kind of cool.

Chad Hefflinger 08-24-2019 07:30 PM

Not my cup of tea, but it’s a 20 gauge hammer gun. I don’t hate it..

Milton C Starr 08-24-2019 08:03 PM

Are 20 gauge hammer guns really that uncommon ?

If you're are happy with it thats all that matters .
I have read Belgium made sxs's dont have the best reputations but I have one and have no faults with it .
A antique firearms group I am member of on Facebook . Someone posted a picture of their great grandfarthers 16 ga sxs and the stock is carved almost exactly like your 20 ga .Except his 16 gauge has blue eyes in the head carving instead of amber .

Brian Dudley 08-24-2019 08:37 PM

Overall it looks like a lower quality belgian gun that is still together and sound. If the gun is operable, is not a rattle trap and goes bang/hits targets then enjoy it. I have seen a few skeletonized butts like that before, interesting to say the least.

Bruce Day 08-24-2019 08:57 PM

It is certainly interesting. Look at it this way, when you take it out with your buddies, no one will have another like it and it is something to talk about.