Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Old William Harden Foster Opportunity poster (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27213)

Bill Holcombe 05-01-2019 02:17 PM

Old William Harden Foster Opportunity poster

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up cheap in an old junk shop in the big city of Crowell, Tx today. It has a tear in it unfortunately, but it appears to be a vintage old add.

Rick Losey 05-01-2019 02:40 PM

always liked that print,

learned a long time go to not leave lunch unguarded around a setter, they assume the sad eye look will always get them out of trouble

Dean Romig 05-01-2019 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice!

I wonder if it started out as a calendar?

Bill Holcombe 05-01-2019 03:06 PM

Not sure, it has a blue border around it the shotshell wording but now that I look at deans it appears to have it as well.

Copyright o it is 1930 and it says its lithographed.

Rich Anderson 05-01-2019 03:08 PM

The old sporting art is so cool. Saw some nice stuff at the Southern but wall space is maxed out here and in the cabin.

Even with the tear thats a nice piece of history.

Dean Romig 05-01-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 272823)
always liked that print,

learned a long time go to not leave lunch (see below) unguarded around a setter, they assume the sad eye look will always get them out of trouble

...or birthday cake on the table.
...or hamburgers fresh off the grille - I hope it burned her tongue.
...or fresh cookies a friend brought when she came for a visit that were arranged on a dish on the coffee table.
...the list goes on and on...

Dean Romig 05-01-2019 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a few but my favorite is the one I found in the small office in the main kennel house at 73 Dascomb Rd - Glen Rock Kennels - which had probably served as the meeting place of some of the very first "skeeters".

I have always intended to preserve it in framed glass mounting... but I like that it's just hanging where I put it the day I brought it home.

It's not a Foster but is a Lynn Bogue Hunt, which is almost as good. :cool:
And I'm quite sure it is from a calendar. The lower 2" has been glued to the upper 25" piece - the month's days obviously having been cut out.

Bill Holcombe 05-01-2019 04:16 PM

Should i try to bind the tear with anything?

Dean Romig 05-01-2019 04:30 PM

I wouldn't. It kind of supports the authenticity. The poster was glued to the wood when it was still somewhat green but when the wood dried and shrunk the paper split.

Bill Murphy 05-02-2019 09:15 AM

In my former life, I had a great Irish Setter, Rusty. My neighbor across the street was cooling an angel food cake on her back porch. Rusty got wind of that cake and cleared a 4 1/2 foot picket fence and had the cake down and eaten before my neighbor could react. Those were the days when bird dogs ran free, regardless of their value. I had never seen Rusty clear a fence that high in the field. Oh, well.