Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Change of heart: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34977)

Bruce P Bruner 12-12-2021 10:05 AM

Change of heart:

3 Attachment(s)
Against my better judgment I’ve decided to keep this 150 year old double. The odds of finding another one like this is pretty slim. Other than the wrist needing some professional attention the shotgun is in remarkably nice shape. The checkering is sharp and laminate barrel contrast is especially attractive.
I’m not sure if I’ve suffered a lack of judgment or I just like it too much to send it down the road. For the modest $700 investment what could you find that’s comparable? Probably not much.
I understand there is unbiased free counseling here. :biglaugh:

charlie cleveland 12-12-2021 02:47 PM

I would also keep this nice old gun in my small collection...this is the kind of old guns my collection is made up of.....charlie

Bruce P Bruner 12-12-2021 09:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fellow member David Boyles sent me this page from Lawrence Shelton’s “The Clabrough Book”. It illustrates my exact “Change of heart” shotgun, serial number 970, circa 1873. The page details the non-rebounding hammers. A correct observation, though they do have a functioning half cock position. Being pre "Not For Ball" the barrels won't have any choke, a true "spreader".
Another interesting detail is the “WB” stamped on the lower rib, William Bayliss was a noted barrel maker at that time according to the article. It seem odd that the “WB” would be on the lower rib. If William Bayliss actually assembled the barrels I could understand the significance. It’s confusing not knowing what various processes were actually conducted “in house”.
The flowing Laminate pattern is very interesting, known as “mosaic”. The “riband” welds are only detectable with magnification, unlike most Damascus barrels.

Milton C Starr 12-13-2021 03:54 AM

I occasionally see some interesting J.P. Clabroughs pop up like a top lever back action 10 gauge and theres also side lever back action 10 ga J.P. Clabrough both are interesting looking to me.

Richard Flanders 12-13-2021 02:26 PM

Gorgeous gun! I wouldn't want to move it on either.

Keith Sirmans 12-14-2021 12:17 PM

Oh that is too neat

John Campbell 12-17-2021 09:22 AM

The Autumn 2021 (current) Double Gun Journal has an informative feature on English gunmakers by Dr. John Newton. It includes a section on J. P. Clabrough that's worth reading.

James Palmer 12-25-2021 01:17 PM

I have seen Larrys collection in person a few times. His wife and son are liquidating since his death.

I believe I posted the highest grade Clabrough here at some point.

James