Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

Mills Morrison 04-10-2018 03:42 PM

Turkey Report

3 Attachment(s)
I went this Saturday and had one gobbling. I think it is the same one that gobbled here last year and, like last year, he started moving away from me and back down the edge of the swamp. Then I hear three shots in his general direction. After about five minutes, he starts gobbling again. Then, 20 minutes later or so, another single gun shot, and he does not gobble after that.

Go back Sunday with my son and we don't hear a thing. The temperature dropped like a rock and it was raining a little. Hopefully, this coming weekend will be different.

I know some folks on here have had some luck, but how are the rest of you doing?

Garry L Gordon 04-10-2018 03:49 PM

Our season does not open until next Monday. I've been hearing birds gobbling around the house in the mornings when I let the dogs run. It's been so cold here reports are that birds are still flocked up and our Conservation Dept. is predicting a slow start for the season. I have opened the season sitting in snow once in my 38 years of hunting turkeys in Missouri. Not fun, but it keeps the ticks down some.

Randy G Roberts 04-10-2018 04:04 PM

Season does not open here until the 25th (Excepting youth season), of course I will be in Sanford. I had 4 Toms strutting behind the house last week and they are gobbling. I have seen them out in the fields most every time I go out.

Mills Morrison 04-10-2018 04:06 PM

My brother got one and then missed one a few days later. My Dad has had about the same luck I have.

One thing for sure. . . the season seems to take forever to get here and then flies by when it arrives

Mark Ray 04-10-2018 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One less in Texas!!

Last Monday.

Garry L Gordon 04-10-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ray (Post 240685)
One less in Texas!!

Last Monday.

Mark,

Are you hunting in your neighbor's garden?:) It sure looks like a scenic place to call up a gobbler.

Mark Ray 04-11-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 240686)
Mark,

Are you hunting in your neighbor's garden?:) It sure looks like a scenic place to call up a gobbler.

Garry,

Timely rains in our little part of South Texas, has produced a really nice wildflower crop. Here on a friends place, the Indian Blanket flowers are partcularly beautiful, and abundant! This Gobbler met his maker about 5’ from the posed pic, because he and all his buddies trampled the blooms around the hen decoy they were “courting!”. It is truly a cathartic experience to hunt in such a stunning setting.

CraigThompson 04-11-2018 08:11 PM

Spring gobbler doesn’t start in the Old Dominion until 4/14 . Although I doubt if I go the war between myself and turkey died a few years ago . Although I wouldn’t be adverse to knocking one over with my grandfathers old W&C Scott 10 gauge for old times sake !

CraigThompson 04-11-2018 10:39 PM

Mills is there a fall turkey season in SC or GA ?

Mills Morrison 04-11-2018 11:15 PM

No, we have spring only