Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Manhattan Arms Co. 10g Hammer (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32427)

Andrew Sacco 02-06-2021 05:59 PM

Manhattan Arms Co. 10g Hammer

5 Attachment(s)
Saw this today at a sporting good store close to me. I know nothing about them, hammer 10g. Amazingly it points pretty well and doesn't seem as heavy as I'd expect. Seems in fair to good shape, bores look pretty good. Not sure it's worth another look from me, it's way south of a grand. This and a half dozen others out of an estate sale, the rest were severely pitted inside for the same money (Ithacas and some name I didn't recognize on another). One gun had double hammers but damn if he or I could figure out how to open it, there were no levers or signs of a lever or lifter present anywhere! Then he said, sure hope it ain't loaded. Anyways it's 30 minutes away, any thoughts on these? I read a little on line.

Dave Noreen 02-06-2021 07:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Manhattan Arms Co. was a "trade brand" used by Schoverling, Daly & Gales on all manner of imported and domestic guns made/marked for them. It was a lower priced line than their Charles Daly line.

Attachment 92953

Attachment 92954

Attachment 92955

My Father briefly owned a Damascus barrel 10-gauge Manhattan Arms Co. double that was obviously a basic Birmingham Anson & Deeley box lock.

Patrick Lien 02-06-2021 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The one I had was found in a pawn shop for a $150. It was made by Sauer and was a decent gun.

PML

Andrew Sacco 02-06-2021 08:58 PM

This ain’t no $150 we don’t have pawn shops or I’d have taken it at that price. Probably could get it north of $500.

Dave Noreen 02-06-2021 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just looking at those original pictures again. What is going on with that right breechball? Looks like some ham fist screwed up the firing pin retaining screw, crudely plugged the hole and tapped in a new screw.

Attachment 92965

We need to see the proof marks on the gun in question, but I'd bet they are Belgian.

Bill Murphy 02-07-2021 02:00 PM

Shoverling Daly and Gales marked a few high quality Lindner made guns with the Manhattan Arms name. Years ago, I inspected one at Allentown but didn't come home with it. It's the only Lindner marked Manhattan Arms gun I have seen.

Andrew Sacco 02-07-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 324984)
Shoverling Daly and Gales marked a few high quality Lindner made guns with the Manhattan Arms name. Years ago, I inspected one at Allentown but didn't come home with it. It's the only Lindner marked Manhattan Arms gun I have seen.

Where would you find a telling mark for Lindner?

Bill Murphy 02-08-2021 06:32 AM

The crossed pistols and often HAL on the bottom of the barrel breeches.

Frank Srebro 02-08-2021 08:29 AM

Andy it might be the angle at which the pics were taken but it looks like both barrels are off the face.

Andrew Sacco 02-08-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Srebro (Post 325055)
Andy it might be the angle at which the pics were taken but it looks like both barrels are off the face.

Frank they seemed quite tight in person, but I'm not pursuing this gun anyways. Hammer gun is on the bucket list however, but in a Parker version : )