Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Post Season Blues (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32147)

Harold Lee Pickens 01-13-2021 04:19 PM

Post Season Blues

Well, thought I was going to get one more hunting trip in before it all ended, but doesnt look promising. Three+ weeks, 2 trips, to the UP were wonderful, with great shooting and a bounty of birds in the freezer--so there will be plenty of smoked grouse at Hausemans again this year. Plenty of game lands pheasants also up to a few weeks ago.
Was going to Kansas in January, but Covid killed that deal. No, I dont have Covid, but the vaccine damn near killed my mother-in-law. At 92 and 72 lbs, it knocked the snot out of her. Now she is was not the picture of health to begin with, but now just cant see her making it much longer, actually met with hospice today, but not quite ready for that--yet.
My buddy Mike out in Kansas now, its warm, very dry, and windy, but he and his 5 setters are doing OK. He will stay until the season ends. He says come on out.
My other buddy Terry, is dropping his wife off in Nebraska, the heading to NW Kansas with his 1 yr old Lab. He wanted me to meet him out there, and bring the extra firepower of my 3 setters. Going to meet with him and give him my maps showing the WIHA areas and where I've done well.
Was just hoping for one more get-a-way, but there's always next year--I hope!

Shawn Wayment 01-13-2021 04:26 PM

Harold...Hope you MOL gets better. What a weird year for sure. I have one more trip planned for this season to NM and AZ for a week. Maybe a day trip in CO but the birds are very scarce here. I always count my blessings when the season rolls around! We've got Spring turkeys too right?

Mills Morrison 01-13-2021 04:26 PM

There is about another real month of quail season down here. Just sayin'

Mills Morrison 01-13-2021 04:28 PM

Hope your mother in law gets better.

Andrew Sacco 01-13-2021 04:35 PM

Good luck with your MIL Harold. The virus is no joke for those with all those years behind them. Sounds like you've done a good share of bird chasing this year. Oh....to be a retired optometrist...

John Dallas 01-13-2021 07:17 PM

Harold - It's none of my business, but...

Hospice is a great resource. They are so much more than morphine in the last few days. They have been down this road many times, and have access to all sorts of resources, which may extend for months Without being cynical, often doctors are not anxious to recommend hospice, as it may mean the end of a financial stream for them.

This coming from the father of a hospice nurse, and husband of a hospice grief counselor.

Jim DiSpagno 01-13-2021 07:20 PM

Doc, prayers for your Mother inLaw and your and your family

Garry L Gordon 01-13-2021 09:02 PM

Harold, I hope things work out in the best possible way. We go through these passages in our lives without a guidebook, but family and friends make the passage bearable. My best to you and your family. As for the hunting: let's hope there is a good season next year for all of us.

Brett Hoop 01-14-2021 10:56 AM

Well, I choose to think of it as pre-season. Time to plan and make preparations for the coming season. Still have awhile that we can look for late season pheasants...even if they are ghosts. Couple days back Buzzy locked up hard in the most classic crouching point. He was more than half under grape vines butt high and riveted on a spot where the snow had crushed grass and briars. I sent in Finn the flusher, who torpedoed and out came a big woods rabbit. We all watched the rabbit's mad dash, with the flusher giving me that look that says, you know we could take one of those home every so often, that pup wouldn’t care.

We have already loaded 1500 shotshells. Have chronoed several loads that look right for speed and on paper. The quail for the spring are wintering fine. I need to build another Johnny house. I should be cutting wood, but that’s not as much fun as it used to be this time of year.
Hopeful for the Southern, counting on Ernie’s and Mike’s. We will need to test some of those shells out at Hunting Hills even if they don’t have the side by side shoot.

Harold we have a standing invitation to camp in Edgar’s bear pasture, maybe we can shoot Addieville. You better plan on catching some walleye with me in July / August also!

Grousetober is coming, just 9 months barely enough time to get ready.