Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Top Lever does not lock to the right. Why? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19054)

allen newell 05-12-2016 02:34 PM

Top Lever does not lock to the right. Why?

I recently picked up a 1902 GHE 12 ga. The barrels on this double are Winchester Reproduction Q1 & Q2. Don't know who did the fitting or any of the restoration incl case colors.

When the gun is broken open, the top lever should lock to the right but it doesn't lock at all. The lever returns to the center position. To close the gun, I have to push the lever again to the right, bring the barrels down on the frame and release the lever. I hope I've described this issue clearly.

Any ideas on why the top level is not locking?

I plan to take it to Dan Cullity who lives close by but thought some of you Parker gurus who are far more knowledgeable than yours truly might have some insights. Thanks in advance to all.

A

Justin Julian 05-12-2016 03:24 PM

The top lever is locked to the right when opened by a pin that extends up from the bottom of the frame. The pin is powered by a small coil spring. It is likely that the gun was disassembled at some point and the spring was lost or otherwise not reinstalled.

allen newell 05-12-2016 04:57 PM

After reading page 138 of The Parker Story, I believe this model GHE (1902) had a leaf spring. The good book says the coil springs were a later introduction circa 1918 or so. Thanks Julian, you put your finger on the problem. I'll have Dan Cullity fix it or send it out to Brad.

Chuck Bishop 05-12-2016 05:02 PM

No, the trip spring is a coil. It could just be that the trip is stuck in the down position due to dried grease or dirt. You need to study how Parkers work. The spring you are referring to sounds like the top lever spring. Two altogether different springs.

allen newell 05-12-2016 05:04 PM

Thanks Chuck, I stand corrected. Either way, someone else is going to take this apart and fix it. I just want to shoot the dam gun on skeet!

Charles Matthews 05-12-2016 05:34 PM

Chuck is correct. I just had the top lever spring (leaf) replaced in my 1905. Your top leaver spring sounds ok based on your description of the problem.

allen newell 05-12-2016 06:21 PM

Charles, who did the work for you?

Charles Matthews 05-12-2016 06:38 PM

Allen,
I had Jim Kelly, Darlington Gun Works, replace my top lever spring and time some screws while it was there. Like I said, I think your top lever spring is ok if it displays any tension on it. Mine had zero tension....it had broken. Sounds like it's your trip spring pin.
Some friendly advise.......Jim has been great to me over the years, but he stays very backed up on his work.

Charles

allen newell 05-12-2016 06:57 PM

Thanks Charles. Dan Cullity lives and operates his biz from his home in Barnstable about 8 miles from me. Dan's work is exceptional. He'll take care of this problem and his turn around is very good. His son Ryan will probably do the work.

Charles Matthews 05-12-2016 07:04 PM

Good luck to you, Allen.